College 101: Bathroom Renovation on a Budget

Home improvement projects are an exciting and easy way to add value to a home. Many people like to think of the bathroom as a sanctuary—a place of relaxation and calmness. Redesigning a bathroom can be as simple or complex as your budget allows. Like any renovation, updating a bathroom needs focus, vision, and financing. Here are some tips to inspire a bathroom renovation on a budget. 

Walls

Sprucing up the walls can make an affordable impact. Wallpaper is quick to install and good for hiding blemished walls. It can be used as a feature wall for a fun pop. Painting is also a quick fix that can breathe new life into a bathroom. Remember bathrooms are moist and can be humid, so choose a paint with a satin finish that’s resistant to moisture. 

Grout and caulking also benefit from freshening up. Clean grout and add clean lines of caulking around the sink and tub. 

Floors

If the renovation includes updating the floors, check the condition of the original floorboards under vinyl, tile, or laminate flooring. Sanding the original floorboards to show off the grain gives a warm feature to the bathroom. Hammer down every nail to be flush or below the board’s surface prior to sanding. 

A popular design trend is to install concrete flooring and give it a slick finish. Concrete can either be poured new or be found underneath old tiles. Simply grind back the concrete and cover it with polyurethane. It will need to be resealed every few years. Porcelain tiles are non-porous and make for great bathroom floors. 

Fixtures 

Updating fixtures, fittings, knobs, and hardware gives a bathroom a fresh look. Install eye-catching lighting to set the mood. Change out the handles on drawers and knobs on cabinets and update any towel bars as well. 

Changing out the vanity can change the look of a bathroom. A cost-effective idea is to use repurposed furniture such as a vanity and use the existing basin for the sink. Think about a vanity that offers storage space. If replacing countertops with granite, bear in mind that neutral colors are more expensive. Price out other colors and be open to choosing a slab of granite with imperfections to save money. 

A mirror that doubles as medicine cabinet is a discreet way to store toiletries, makeup, and supplements. Terra Origin, for example, offers a scientifically supported line of nutraceutical supplements and powders inspired by the ancient Ayurveda practice. Renovating a bathroom shouldn’t just be about how it looks but how it makes you feel, too. (This includes updating your medicine cabinet!) Stock a newly renovated bathroom with supplements to nurture the mind, body, and spirit. 

Freestanding bathtubs are popular in bathrooms and come in a variety of sizes and styles. Consider a frameless shower screen for a modern and sleek look. Stegbar is the authority in all things shower screens. They custom design and install stunning shower screens that fit any size, style, and budget. From screenless to sliding shower screens, Stegbar vigorously tests all products to guarantee their quality. 

Refitting the entire bathroom gets costly in no time due to the cost of labor to change the layout. To save money, leave the plumbing where it is and renovate around it. Going green and installing low-flow toilets, showers, and sinks can lower monthly water bills and reduce the water footprint. 

Another budget-friendly alternative to retrofitting the bathroom is to update individual parts. Change the toilet seat and lid, install a new system in the shower, or refinish the bathtub with a liner. When it comes to working on a budget, less is more. Take a minimal approach to choose accessories that fit the theme. Go for one statement piece and incorporate a few supporting pieces.