Arts

“Disney +”: The Netflix style Disney platform

The success of the latest streaming service — Disney+ — remains to be seen, welcoming a new age of television.

Image By: TechHive

The Walt Disney Company released an online streaming movie platform where individuals can watch the company’s new releases and classics. 

Within the last few days, Disney + has become a subject of discussion. Advertisements of the platform have been scattered all over news websites and social media. It has become a trending topic among users on Twitter and Facebook. The company also partnered with Snapchat to create a filter for it.

The platform contains Disney produced movies as well as movies produced by different subsidiaries of Walt Disney Studios — Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars and National Geographic. Audiences can stream their favorite movies on any device and on up to four devices at the same time.

Disney + is great news for all Disney audiences because they get to have access 24/7 to the company’s newest releases which include movies and series. Similar to Netflix, Disney + produces its own movies and series. 

Some of the movies and series that are exclusive to the platform are “Star Wars: The Mandalorian,” “Noelle,” “Marvel’s Hero Project” and “The World According to Jeff Goldblum.” These movies and series are not available on any other media platform. 

Disney + offers users two forms of memberships. Users can choose to stream Disney + alone or a package of Disney +, Hulu and ESPN. The Disney +, Hulu and ESPN bundle lets users stream media from all these platforms.

Whether it can overtake Netflix as the prime media service provider is an issue for debate. There is a lot of buzz around it, and the potential that it can grow in a short period of time because Walt Disney already has a large existing fan base. Some of the highest-grossing movies of all time were produced either by Disney or by a subsidiary of the company. 

Time will determine the success of Disney + compared to its other competitors in the media services market. So, let the competition begin.