College 101: A College Student’s Guide to Choosing Health Insurance Plans

Incoming college students may have expectations of what they think college will be like, but they don’t know for sure what’s in store for them. They make plans for how to decorate dorm rooms, what classes to take, study habits to follow, collegiate organizations to join, and extracurricular activities.

One of the most important decisions students have to make is what program of study to enter. Health majors are popular; of 1,921,000 degrees earned in 2015 - 2016, 229,000 degrees were in health professions and programs. The number of students majoring in health programs, such as nursing, has increased 168 percent since 2005. Some students enter college as registered nurses. They can enroll in RN to BSN programs, such as the RN-BSN program at Bay State College. This program offers hybrid evening classes and online classes to accommodate students’ academic, professional, and personal schedules.

Another important decision for college students to make is how they will pay for their education. As education costs increase, so does the concern about student debt and loan repayment. Students could pay for tuition, books, supplies, and living and dining arrangements out-of-pocket, but doing so can be hard for most students. Scholarships can help students and their families defray education costs, and so can financial aid options such as grants, loans, and work-study.

Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 6.40.47 PM.png

College students should make health decisions in addition to financial decisions. The future is unpredictable, but having plans in place can help students deal with unforeseen events, good and bad. Students might make infrequent visits to the doctor, because they think they’re in good health, or don’t have time to see a physician. For this reason, students who aren’t on their parents’ health insurance plans may think insurance is an unnecessary expense. But what if they get sick or injured?

Injuries from sports games, motor vehicle accidents, or home accidents, getting a prescription, and needing a planned or unplanned surgery can be expensive. Students shouldn’t take their health for granted; they should invest in health insurance. Medical coverage can help people pay for medical treatment and preventive care.

When seeking a health insurance policy, students should keep in mind that some schools may offer health plans to students, whether it’s an accident policy or one that covers significant needs. School-provided insurance plans may require students to visit on-campus and local medical professionals. This type of coverage might elapse when school terms end. Employed students could get insurance through their employers if they work full-time. Their benefits would depend on the plan the employer chose. Typically, employees have to pay co-payments and insurance premiums and meet deductibles.

Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 6.41.56 PM.png

A convenient alternative option for college students is short-term health insurance. Getting short-term insurance is a good idea for people who can’t get coverage through their employers. To learn what short-term health insurance is and what it encompasses, people can consult the leading online resource on short-term health insurance, Agile Health Insurance. People can get individual and short-term medical insurance quotes when they visit the Agile Health Insurance website, agilehealthinsurance.

Short-term health insurance allows people to keep their current physician if they have one, or visit any doctor or medical professional, at any hospital or facility. Such coverage is a temporary solution for people who experience health catastrophes such as illness or injury and make transitions in life, such as starting college or a new job. Overall, short-term coverage is inexpensive compared to other insurance plans, making this a convenient option for incoming and returning college students. Short-term insurance policies tend to last a year at the most, and policyholders have the option of renewing.

Using Agile Health Insurance, college students can find short-term insurance plans and providers that suit their financial and medical needs throughout their studies. Students should ensure they can afford any medical treatment and preventive care they need to stay healthy.