Op_WiscardCROP.jpg

One call away: Helplines on Wiscard aid in crises support

The Wiscard we all have grown accustomed to is facing some potential changes for the upcoming freshman class. 

The Associated Students of Madison proposed on October 2 to add crisis hotline numbers on the back of incoming freshmen’s Wiscards. The numbers that are planned to be added are the UW Police Department phone number, University Health Services Mental Health Crisis Line and Rape Crisis Line. 

California has already implemented legislation that requires middle, high school, and college student IDs to include the National Suicide Prevention Hotline. This change was prompted four years ago when Palo Alto High implemented this hotline on ID cards after a student at the school took their own life. The idea behind the law is to give students a clear understanding that immediate help is readily available — the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, a network of local crisis centers, provides free and confidential support on a 24/7 basis. 

As someone who went to high school in California, I have experienced first hand having student IDs with such hotline numbers present. I personally felt a sense of progress that our government and political leaders are taking into account the lives and wellbeing of students, as this addition to ID cards can be a lifesaver for many students. 

At first glance of the ID card, most of my friends and classmates did not even notice it. After students began to recognize the addition of the hotline number, no one seemed to have any complaints either. Most students at my school were in fact appreciative of the number being present, for it gave them hope that progress is being made to encourage and normalize the act of reaching out for help. 

Mental health issues and sexual assault incidents are known to be prevalent in the UW-Madison community. In 2017, UHS provided 2,432 individual counseling sessions, 137 accompaniments or advocacy appointments, 102 unique students by providing confidential, trauma-informed services (individual counseling, group counseling, advocacy, or information about rights and resources), and provided other resources to 237 individuals. Also, 126,757 students had patient/client visits for mental health and sexual assault. 

Students are certainly using UW-Madison’s resources, but it is not necessarily enough. Last year, 300 cases of sexual assault were reported. And these are only reported cases — who knows what the amount of unreported sexual assaults was. In 2015, UW-Madison was one of the 27 institutions to participate in the Association of American Universities (AAU), Sexual Misconduct and Sexual Assult Climate Survey. Nearly 9,000 UW-Madison students were surveyed, uncovering that one in four women and one in 18 men were sexually assaulted as undergraduate students. Of those reported assaults, 12.6 percent were females experiencing “nonconsensual penetration by force or incapacitation” — and most assaults were reported to have happened during the victims’ freshman or sophomore years. Of these assaults, most took place in residence halls, and most were committed by attackers who were known to the victims. Of these students who experienced penetration by force, only 26.1 percent reported the incidents. This study is based upon 2015 data but does give a baseline of the magnitude of unreported sexual assault instances at UW-Madison. 

For many students, it is difficult to reach out for help. Students struggle, from the stress of class, pressures of personal life, to extracurriculars like clubs and sports. It becomes even more of an obstacle when attempting to reach out to a loved one, TA, or counselor on top of everything else. Especially for incoming freshmen, most of whom have never lived on their own, and no longer have anyone forcing them to go to class or complete homework, this can be quite challenging. It is even harder for students to reach out about their mental health and sexual assault on top of adjusting to the responsibilities and the new elements of college life. 

The implementation of these hotline numbers on the Wiscards will not only make these numbers easily available, but can also offer a sense of community acceptance around reaching out. 

Every UW-Madison student has their Wiscard on them at all times. We use it throughout the day, so having these hotline numbers on the card will make these services apparent and present in our everyday lives. Hopefully, this provides a sense of acceptance within the community and those seeking help do not feel ashamed for using UHS services or calling these hotline numbers. Diminishing the negative stigma around using these services through a widespread acceptance of these hotline numbers will also make students feel more comfortable to reach out for help on behalf of another student. 

Some might propose that having these numbers displayed on the Wiscards will shock and potentially trigger students who have been assaulted. An important part of accepting the use of these resources is perceiving the accessibility of these numbers in a positive manner. These hotline numbers should be accepted —the use of them should not be met with shame, but with acceptance and support. 

Although adding these hotline numbers is a step in the right direction, it is not everything. Making the call is the first step, but supporting students who seek out these services is necessary for an inclusive student body. 

Anthony is a Freshman studying Journalism. How do you feel about potentially adding crises numbers to all Wiscards? Do you think this could decrease stigma regarding mental health and survivor services? Send all comments to opinion@dailycardinal.com.