4whitesonly.jpeg

Put up overnight, the university has taken down the controversial poster by Science Hall.

Posters around campus bring attention to experiences of underrepresented students

Early this morning the university became aware of posters displayed around campus with seemingly exclusionary messaging geared towards students of color.

After further investigation, the posters are reported to have been part of a protest by students of color on campus according to Deputy Vice Chancellor Patrick Sims. 

One poster displayed on the sign outside Science Hall read “UW 4 WHITES ONLY,” while others around campus read “I’M TIRED OF HAVING TO TEACH MY TEACHERS” and ”UW DOES NOT CARE ABOUT TRANS FOLX.”

Teachers.jpeg
Photo Courtesy of UW-Madison via Twitter

UW-Madison released a statement this morning regarding the situation. 

“We want to be clear that UW–Madison stands against racism and all other forms of hate and any messages of exclusion,” the statement read. “These posters appear now to be part of a coordinated campaign calling attention to experiences of underrepresented students.”

Trans.jpeg

The university is still gathering information regarding the situation. Updates will be provided accordingly. 

Editors’ Note [10/18/19, 12:21 PM]: The respective messages on the posters were written on Daily Cardinal newspapers. No members of the Daily Cardinal were involved in the protest in any way, but are dedicated to ensuring students are included and safe on campus.