News_80busroute.jpeg

A shorter, campus-centralized route has been proposed with a possible new name. 

Proposed changes to route 80 brings input, controversy

Community members and students gathered at the Student Activity Center for a public forum on UW-Madison Transportation Services’ planned changes to campus bus routes. 

The proposed changes include creating a shortened, more centralized 80 route, partially reducing service to Eagle Heights and adjustments both to routes 81 and 82. 

Commuter Solutions Manager Darwin Ward presented on the changes and fielded questions from the public. 

The plan calls for an increase in the total number of buses running from seven buses (currently) to nine, in addition to a new, shorter route 80. Currently, seven buses serve route 80 — four, of which, go to Eagle Heights, according to Ward. The shorter route 80 would operate throughout central campus during business days from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 

With the changes, Ward and Transportation Services estimate the average wait time for the 80 will reduce from eight to six minutes. 

One change that prompted public response was the proposed name change to the new bus routes — instead calling the shorter route 80, route 83, was floated as an idea. 

“I didn't think it would be controversial but apparently people have really strong opinions about which one to rename or to rename them at all,” Ward said. “I think it's a good idea because it can get confusing."

This change prompted Ward and her team to utilize the existing route 84 to provide midday service for Eagle Heights residents from 4:30 to 7 p.m. The service will bring residents as far East as Charter Street. 

“[Riders] would either have to get out and walk from there or get off and every six minutes the other 80 bus is going to come by and you can transfer to that bus,” Ward said. “But, if you don't like to transfer and you can't walk for one reason or another, that's a tradeoff we're making for the other positives.”

More buses running campus requires more funding, according to Ward. 

The proposed solution to the funding gap comes in the form of tweaking the late-night 81 and 82 routes. 

Currently, routes 81 and 82 start service at 6 p.m. The change would have service be pushed back to 9 p.m. Ward notes the change is based on cost reduction. 

“The main driver and reason we're looking at this is that it saves some funding,” Ward said. “That could be applied to the changes we talked about for the middle of the day. However, the funding partners can come together and say 'it's not worth the savings' and choose not to do this.” 

Additionally, route 81’s service would be pulled back from Ingersoll St. to Franklin St., along with route 82’s service extending from Breese Terrace to Walnut St. The change is predicated in serving students who live off campus more effectively. 

“Essentially what we’re doing is taking the whole late night system and shifting it a few blocks west,” Ward said. 

Transportation Services’ full plan can be accessed here. Tonight was the last of three public forums on the topic. The proposed changes will now go into review and likely be implemented in late August 2020.