ls_CoffeeBW.jpg

A classic staple to surviving early-morning lectures: lots of coffee.

Nine things that get me through every day

This may sound dramatic, but here is a list of things that I can’t live without. O.K., yeah, that was dramatic, but having been in college, I’ve compiled a list of life-saving necessities that make my life easier and more enjoyable.  

1. Music. It doesn’t matter if my walk is two minutes or 20 minutes, I have to put songs in the queue. Regardless of streaming platform, there are constantly waves of new music to indulge in. Recently, I’ve been listening to Khalid, Maren Morris and Kehlani. 

2. Wet Brush. If you are anything like me, you shed more hair than you actually have, and you’re still unsure how that’s possible. The Wet Brush saved my life, especially when I am in a hurry to leave.

The Wet Brush detangles any knot in any type of hair, leaving a smooth, salon-looking style. Best of all, I don’t have to worry about leaving my apartment with a wet mop on my head.

3. Coffee. Cue the basic jokes here, but sorry not sorry. I embrace this because there is truly nothing worse than attending an early morning class without coffee. In all actuality, it’s really hard attending any class at any time of the day without the proper amount of caffeine. My must-have list would be lacking something without this important addition.

4. Trusted baseball cap Whether you are struggling with a bad hair day or you just didn’t get up early enough to take a shower, a good baseball hat is the universal alternative. Sometimes hats just complete the look you’re going for too, which is a win-win situation.

5. Face wash routine. Coming home from a busy day and washing your face has to be one of the best feelings, right next to jumping into a cozy pair of pajamas and taking out your contacts. I have sworn by Clinique face wash for years now, and I have not found any other product that rivals it. Whatever product you decide to use, give yourself the time to wash your face and stress away.

6. Books. When you’re looking for a break from school and social media, flipping open a book that interests you is the solution. I recently read the “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” series and fell more in love with the movie, if that was even possible — so I highly recommend. 

Instead of surfing the Instagram feed that you just checked five minutes ago, read a chapter before you go to bed. You’ll either fall asleep mid-chapter or become immersed in a story that will leak into your dreams.

7. Chapstick. Even though we barely escaped the treacherous winter months, chapstick is still important. I am a huge fan of Burt’s Bees grapefruit flavor specifically during the summer!

8. Your favorite comfy clothes. Comfort is a necessity and luckily for me; leggings can be dressed up or down. After all, don’t we love multipurpose clothes? Whether it’s leggings, your favorite sweats, your oversized Kollege Klub sweatshirt or a T-shirt you’ve had for years, make sure your wardrobe is equipped with clothes that will make you feel comfortable and happy. 

9. Makeup mirror. This is a one-time investment that just keeps on giving. I’ve had mine for three years and have never even replaced a bulb. I can’t do my makeup without it anymore. Afterall, there is nothing more embarrassing than being in public and realizing your makeup looks different in the daylight. 

Whatever is on the list, it’s your list. These are the things that I can’t imagine my day-to-day without — what are yours?