Guide to spending a winter in Madison

So, it’s the first week of March and it is still reaching sub-zero temperatures, which is problematic to say the least. With spring break just over a week away, there’s still plenty of time to enjoy the winter season, for it very well may be cold until finals roll around.

For starters, Lakes Mendota and Monona are going to be frozen for about another month, so ice fishing and pond hockey are not out of the question. Just a fair warning though, historical records have seen the ice melt as early as the first week in March, so maybe let others test out the ice before you do. 

For those who want to remain warm these days that seem fitting for the Night King and the White Walkers, we have some indoor options. There is one more home game for the Badger men’s basketball team this Thursday night, which also happens to be senior night for UW. Brace the cold for your walk over to the Kohl Center or even stay at home to see the game on TV, and enjoy watching the Badgers dominate Iowa in the wonderful indoors.

With the recent rising action and climax of the Academy Awards a week and a half ago, the WUD Film Committee has been screening best picture nominees for the past month. This weekend, March 8-10, will be no different. The period pic and winner for best actress, The Favourite, will be screened at 8:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 6:00 p.m. on Sunday.

Lastly, for those who are looking to venture out in the cold, hopping from bar to bar, The Barstool Open is a miniature golf bar crawl on April 12, where teams of four compete in a downtown bar crawl of more than a dozen bars with a miniature golf hole at each. Participants must be 21 and over, and the proceeds of an entrance fee of $50 go to Local Lions Club charities and to Badger Honor Flight.

With spring break, midterms and a heavy dose of March Madness sprinkled into this bitter cold March, there are plenty of opportunities to stay warm and still enjoy the little free time it seems we students have nowadays. If you do find yourself, however, a little more adventurous, this city has seemed to bode well for the spontaneous people, and aims to cater to all of your adventurous desires. Explore all that Madison has to offer and stay warm, Badgers.