news_kaepernick_mikemorbeckflickr.jpg

Notable African-American leaders, including Lieutenant Governor Mandela Barnes, were put on the list of notable African-Americans. 

State Republicans remove Colin Kaepernick from list of honorees in Black History Month resolution

A resolution to recognize prominent African-Americans during Black History Month was amended by Republican legislators Wednesday to exclude former National Football League quarterback Colin Kaepernick from the list of honorees.

Republicans raised concerns over Kaepernick’s inclusion in the resolution, while Democrats, like Sen. Lena Taylor, D-Milwaukee, believed black members of the state Senate should be the ones to decide who is honored.

“The forced censorship of names, selected by African-American legislators, to be included in the annual Black History Month Resolution, was a throwback to an ugly period in this nation’s history,” Taylor said in a statement Wednesday.

Assembly Leader Robin Vos, R-Rochester, objected to Kaepernick’s inclusion due to potential controversy. 

Born in Milwaukee, the conversation around Kaepernick stems from his act of kneeling during the national anthem at NFL games to protest police brutality against African-Americans. Some believe Kaepernick was simply exercising his First Amendment right to freedom of speech, while others criticized him for disrespecting American values and the flag itself.

Black Caucus Chair David Crowley also expressed his disappointment in the removal of Kaepernick’s name from the resolution at a floor session Wednesday.

“We’ve learned today that there are people in the Republican caucus who may not like some of the names on there,” Crowley said. “The biggest issue that we have as a black caucus is people choosing to pick our leaders for us as black people.”

Sen. Taylor attempted to get Kaepernick’s name back on the resolution Wednesday, but the Senate voted along party lines, 19-14, with all 19 Republicans against it.

Rep. Jonathan Brostoff, D-Milwaukee, was among those criticizing Republicans for removing Kaepernick from the resolution.

“I think it is more appropriate to hold Colin Kaepernick up as an example for not just activists, but for the people of Wisconsin in general,” Brostoff said in a statement Wednesday. “Instead of being pushed aside for being ‘divisive,’ Colin Kaepernick deserves to be raised up and recognized not only as a great Wisconsinite, but as a great American.”