news_nationalguard.jpg

Gov. Tony Evers directed Attorney General Josh Kaul to join coalition of state attorneys in a lawsuit against President Donald Trump’s declaration of national emergency for a border wall.

Evers’ latest executive order spells further border controversy

In his latest executive order, Gov. Tony Evers commissioned a total recall of Wisconsin’s National Guard from the southern border Monday. Evers acted in opposition of President Donald Trump’s declared National Emergency and rebuked former Gov. Scott Walker’s decision in originally stationing the troops in June. 

Gov. Evers justified his withdrawal of the 112 troops from the Mexican border by citing a lack of evidence in Trump’s declaration of the State of Emergency. 

"I cannot support keeping our brave service men and women away from their families without a clear need or purpose that would actively benefit the people of Wisconsin or our nation," Gov. Evers said.

Federal disagreement reached a pitch in state-level politics as both sides of the aisle are ousting the other based on the controversy of sincerity versus the garnering of political favor.

Gov. Evers is backed by Assembly Minority Assistant Leader Dianne Hesselbein, D-Middleton, who is thankful Gov. Evers is standing up for the Wisconsin National Guard. 

Hesselbein “[agrees] with the Governor when he says there is not enough evidence of a national crisis.” According to the statement released by Hesselbein, she believes that "our soldiers should never be used as political pawns for made-up emergencies to fulfill campaign promises." 

Democrats, however, are not finding support within the ranks of their so-called “political pawns.” 

Adam Kinzinger, a member of the Wisconsin National Guard and a Republican Illinois Representative, voiced his concern over the ethics of Gov. Evers’ executive order, questioning his commisteration with the national guard.

“Your guardsmen saved many lives and protected our country on this mission,” tweeted Kinzinger. “Did you go visit them on the border to see for yourself? Or did you make your decision based solely on politics?”

Assembly Majority Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, joined in clashing against Gov. Evers, as he too expressed his displeasure with the acting governor’s policies in a press release.

"The troop withdrawal doesn’t save any Wisconsin taxpayer dollars. The operation is federally funded,” Vos said. “It’s yet another example of how our governor is catering to his Dane County liberal base and refusing to do what’s best for our state and in this case, the entire nation.”

Kinzinger continued on Twitter, encouraging Gov. Evers to reconsider his executive order. 

“I’m grateful to my fellow Wisconsin Guard members, and I’m deeply disappointed you won’t let them do what they are trained to do for the good of the country,” he wrote.

Kinzinger, as a commissioned officer, has since become subject for potential punishment by speaking out of term in a “contemptuous” manner against the governor. His remarks and discipline are currently under review. 

The issues surrounding border security continue to mount as America awaits another potential government shutdown. 

Ben Brod

Staff Writer