College 101: iPhone Frustrations

I've always really liked Apple products. I love their minimalist style. So, while I think they're pretty expensive, I don't mind paying the extra money — or, at least, I didn't mind until now!

Recently, I dropped and broke my iPhone. I figure it was no big deal, because I had AppleCare. But when I went to the Apple Store, they gave me this whole song and dance about how I wasn't covered for some reason, and they said they were going to charge me this ridiculous amount of money for the simple screen repair!

I stormed out, but now I'm in a real jam. I still owe money on this phone to my mobile carrier, and I can't really use it the way I need to right now, so I kind of don't even have a phone. Experts, do I have any options here besides giving top dollar to the Apple Store or the mobile provider?

We're sorry to hear about your predicament, but don't lose hope just yet. You do have some options for repairing your phone without necessarily having to pay the sky-high prices that the Apple Store is apparently demanding of you.

Unfortunately, it's true that AppleCare doesn't cover everything. While it has a better reputation than many other extended warranties out there today, Apple can get you with its exceptions and loopholes, forcing you to foot the bill to cover repair costs yourself. And we all know that Apple is not exactly known for low prices.

But this arrangement goes both ways. If Apple doesn't intend to honor your agreement, you shouldn’t feel obligated to let only Apple Store gurus touch your phone. You might as well shop around for iPhone repair services from other professionals.

Of course, this does not mean that you should let just anyone handle your iPhone's repair. Lots of unlicensed technicians are out there and you can even find a few do-it-yourself screen repair kits on the market, but these seemingly affordable options can end up costing you a lot more when your phone get further damaged by unprofessional work.

But many certified Apple technicians are out there working for private repair companies. The Apple Store is not your only option, and chances are good that your local pros are going to be able to undercut the Apple Store's overpriced offer.

Some of these other repair centers even take AppleCare, and who knows — they may find a reason to accept your warranty and persuade Apple to honor the original agreement.

Getting iPhone repair services from a local team that is more focused on their area’s customers could give you speedier and more affordable results. It’s something that you should absolutely consider before you take any more drastic and expensive steps! Even if your phone isn’t salvageable, speaking to a repair person who does not work directly for Apple could help you figure out what other options you have.

We can’t tell you exactly what will happen next, because we don’t know exactly what is wrong with your phone or exactly what is going on with your AppleCare coverage. But we can tell you that you should check out your other options and trust local professionals to do what they do best.

Once you've got your new screen on your phone and have taken care of any other problems, be sure to protect your phone from future accidents by investing in a sturdy case and a screen protector. While having warranty protections is always nice, it's important to take care of your stuff!