news_fitzgerald_emilybuck.jpg

Rep. John Jagler and Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald proposed legislation to replace “mental retardation” with “intellectual disability” in administrative code.

Legislators propose bill to remove offensive language from state literature

Rep. John Jagler, R-Watertown, and Sen. Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, introduced legislation Tuesday to remove “retarded” from state administrative code.

The bill proposed the phrase “mental retardation” and its derivatives be removed from state administrative code and replaced with the term “intellectual disability.”

The bill follows in the footsteps of Rosa’s Law, a federal law signed in 2010 by the Obama administration that removed the word from all federal education, health and labor statutes.

Rosa’s Law was named for Rosa Marcellino, a young woman with Down syndrome whose family engaged in a two-year campaign to change terminology used in statutes that refer to people with intellectual disabilities. 

2011 Act 126, signed by former Gov. Scott Walker, removed the phrase “mental retardation” from state statutes, but not from all state administrative code. Rep. Jagler said in a press release that his bill would finish what was started by the previous legislation. 

Rep. Jagler explained his personal experiences have given him a valuable perspective about the importance of proper terminology. 

“Having a daughter with Down syndrome, I know how hurtful the R-Word can be,” Jagler said in a statement. “Our administrative code shouldn't contain terms that would make others not feel included or make them feel like they are not as valuable as their neighbors.”

Sen. Fitzgerald, the bill’s co-author, added he was “happy to work with Rep. Jagler to see that this important piece of legislation passes the Senate, and looks forward to working with Gov. Tony Evers to make sure that it gets signed into law."

Some experts believe this change is overdue and will hold major significance for those affected by intellectual disabilities.

“Intellectual disability has been the proper term for the past 10-15 years,” said Dr. Andrea Ruppar, assistant professor of rehabilitation psychology and special education in UW-Madison’s School of Education. “The hope is that by changing the terminology, it gives a fresher perspective about what people with intellectual disability can achieve, and hopefully heightens the expectations we have for this population.”

If the legislation passes, Wisconsin will join a long list of states where the word has been removed from state statutes.