Democrats hold onto their Wisconsin seat in the U.S. Senate, as Tammy Baldwin cruises to victory.

Tammy Baldwin wins easy re-election

U.S. Democratic Sen. Tammy Baldwin has comfortably won reelection against Republican challenger Leah Vukmir.

Though they are expected to make several gains in the Senate, many Republicans saw Baldwin as a potential target.

Despite heavy GOP spending, Baldwin held a consistent and commanding lead in the polls leading up to the race.

“Across our state, Democrats, Republicans and Independents sent a loud and clear message,” Baldwin said at her victory party in Madison. “They want a senator who works not for special interests, but someone who works for you.”

Campaigning on expanding health care access and domestic manufacturing issues, the sitting senator rode high levels of support to a relatively easy victory.

In her victory speech, Baldwin reiterated her goals of protecting the healthcare of people with pre-existing conditions, supporting workers unions, and assisting veterans.

“I am proud to be a Wisconsin progressive,” the senator said to applause.

Baldwin stressed that her victory was not the end to her agenda, stressing the need for citizens to remain engaged after the election.

“We can, and we have and we will make a difference together,” Baldwin told supporters.

ABC News called the race just after the polls closed in the state.