UW-Madison incoming freshman class breaks record as largest in university history

UW-Madison celebrated a 3.8 percent increase in enrollment in the largest class the university has ever seen.

In 2015, the university pledged to have 3,600 Wisconsin residents a part of their incoming freshman class. This year they had 3,659.

The incoming freshman class is the largest in university history, garnered from a record number of applicants than previous years. The Class of 2022 is also the most diverse, with more students of color than in any previous year.

“We are very happy with what this talented freshman class says about our teaching and research reputation both at home and abroad,” said Steve Hahn, vice provost for enrollment management, in the press release. “And we are incredibly proud that these new students reflect our university’s commitment to affordability, accessibility and the people of our state.”

The number of undergraduates has increased 430 students to 30,361, the highest number since 1986. Total enrollment increased from 43,820 to 44,413.

UW-Madison joined the Common Application process two years ago, receiving a 29 percent increase in out-of-state applicants. There were 42,741 applicants this year, increasing 7,000 from the year before.