The attempted strong-arm robbery is the second to occur on the UW-Madison campus in less than 24 hours.

UWPD investigating second attempted strong-arm robbery in less than 24 hours

An attempted strong-arm robbery occurred on North Lake Street between University Avenue and West Johnson Street early Sunday morning, according to a UW-Madison Crime Warning issued the same morning. 

The warning said that the suspect pushed the victim to the ground and tried to steal their personal items. There were no weapons involved or mentioned. The suspect fled south on North Lake Street then went east towards North Frances Street.

The suspect is described as a 40-year-old black male, with a tall, skinny build. They are approximately 5’ 08” tall with short facial hair. The suspect was last seen wearing a bright orange jacket and dark colored long shorts.

The UW-Madison Police Department is actively investigating the case. According to UWPD, the attempted robbery is not related to another strong-arm robbery incident that occurred less than 24 hours previously.

UWPD encourages the UW-Madison community to always be aware of their surroundings and to call 911 if they observe any suspicious behavior.

Anyone with information regarding Sunday’s incident should contact the UWPD at (608) 264-2677