The controversial Lincoln Hills youth prison will likely remain open despite allegations of abuse and mistreatment after the state Senate's judiciary committee, chaired by state Sen. Van Wanggaard, rejected the Assembly’s plan to shut the facility down.

Abuse allegations may not be enough to close Lincoln Hills amid a cross-chamber policy battle

The scandal-ridden Lincoln Hills juvenile prison may remain open indefinitely after the state Senate refused to pass the Assembly’s plan to close the facility, effectively killing the effort to close it this year.

In the last day of their session, the state Assembly unanimously passed a comprehensive plan to close the embattled facility, as well as provide state funds to open new, smaller state and county facilities to replace it.

Since the lower chamber adjourned for the year, it was up to the state Senate to either accept the existing plan as is, or reject it, ending any real chance of the Legislature agreeing on a proposal to send to Gov. Scott Walker’s desk this session.

"Blood is on your hands in the Senate," said state Sen. Lena Taylor, D-Milwaukee, during a hearing, referencing the multiple accounts of abuse and mistreatment at Lincoln Hills. "It is not acceptable to do this ... I am completely saddened by, disgusted, frustrated by what is going on."

A state Senate panel did approve a plan to close Lincoln Hills, but one that made significant changes to the existing version, withholding assurances to build new facilities before a committee explored the potential costs to the state.

Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, has argued that the Assembly plan is “not ready for prime time,” and that the promised $80 million had not undergone proper scrutiny.

"We want to make sure we do this right," said Senate judiciary chair Van Wanggaard, R-Racine.

Cross-chamber clashes within the Republican party have entered the spotlight over the juvenile overhaul plan, since Walker’s initial reform package was quickly picked up by the Assembly, while the Senate remained skeptical of the accelerated process.

“The Assembly was able to put aside political differences for the good of the troubled youth of the state. We call on the Senate to do the same,” said state Rep. Michael Schraa, R-Oshkosh, in a statement. “Why can’t we just come together to do what’s right for the troubled youth of Wisconsin?”