Baldwin requests DACA deadline extension due to hurricane complications

Amid GOP congressmen trying to reach a bipartisan decision to end the DACA program, also known as the Dreamer proposal, one of Wisconsin’s senators requested to extend the program’s deadline in the wake of the recent hurricanes that have affected the country.

U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., joined 37 other senators in a letter requesting the program’s Oct. 5 deadline be extended since the hurricanes hit an area where a large portion of the current Dreamers occupy and might have a difficult time meeting the deadline.

The program allows undocumented immigrants that were brought to the U.S. as children to live in the country without being deported. The Trump administration announced they are ending the program, but are allowing some Dreamers to renew their status by applying and paying a $495 fee by Oct 5.

Congress remains in upheaval over reconstructing legislation, with Republicans backing the recently released merit-based “Succeed Act,” issued by U.S. Sens. Thom Tillis, R-N.C. and James Lankford, R-Okla., and Democrats vying to resurrect the tentative 2001 “Dream Act.:

President Donald Trump has expressed support of both proposals in the past, according to separate reports by U.S. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Lankford.

Meanwhile, both parties are anxiously anticipating further guidelines for a ‘Dreamer’ proposal from the White House.

DACA remains in effect till Oct. 5 and applicants may renew their green-card status till the due date.

“Tens of thousands of DACA recipients [are] living in the affected areas impacted by the storms,” said the group in a letter to the Trump Administration.