Early voting for judicial, local government opens on campus

Although the official election day for Wisconsin judicial, municipal, educational and non-partisan offices is April 4, early voting begins on campus Tuesday and will be accessible through March 31.

Former Associated Students of Madison Voting Coordinator Billy Welsh said going to the polls early, voters can avoid the lines on election day while still making sure their voice is heard.

“Having convenient and well-publicized polling locations makes voting easier for students while also raising awareness about the races on the ballot, and thus the importance of civic engagement,” Welsh said.

Polling places will be open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Student Activity Center in the third floor Sun Room and in Union South in the Info Lounge. Students must present an I.D. to vote and make sure they are registered at their current address.

Acceptable forms of I.D. include a Wisconsin drivers’ license or valid U.S. passport. A free voter compliant I.D. card can be picked up at Union South as well.

If an individual is not already registered, they may register at the polls with proof of address. Voters will need to re-register if they are a first time voter in Wisconsin, have moved since the last time they voted or have changed their legal name.