UW-Madison student Alec Shiva was booked in the Dane County Jail Thursday for second-degree sexual assault and other charges that reportedly occurred in a UW-Madison residence hall.

UW-Madison student arrested for second-degree sexual assault in residence hall

UW-Madison freshman Alec Shiva was arrested by UW-Madison Police Department Officers Thursday for second-degree sexual assault.

UWPD responded to a UW-Madison residence hall where the incident was reported around 8 p.m.

UWPD spokesperson Marc Lovicott said he could not release the name of the residence hall in order to protect the victim. He said it is a residence hall in the Southeast neighborhood of campus. 

According to a UWPD incident report, the victim told police that Shiva strangled her, held her against a wall and sexually assaulted her in his dorm room. She called authorities after she managed to leave the room.

The report said Shiva became combative after a bystander noticed the victim in distress and confronted him. He broke a mirror and other items owned by the university in his room and attempted to punch the bystander.

Shiva was booked into the Dane County Jail and arrested for battery, false imprisonment, strangulation, disorderly conduct and criminal damage to property along with second-degree sexual assault.

UW-Madison spokesperson Meredith McGlone said the university is taking appropriate steps to protect the victim and has placed Shiva under emergency suspension. 

"UW-Madison is committed to preventing sexual violence," McGlone said. "When there is an allegation of sexual assault, we seek to offer support, information and resources to the victim."

Lovicott said the investigation is ongoing.

"We've talked to a number of people in the area, including the victim," Lovicott said. "We refer all the charges to the District Attorney's office and we await their decision on charging."

Shiva is the second UW-Madison student to be arrested for second-degree sexual assault this semester. 

Alec Cook was arrested Oct. 17 and now faces numerous charges of sexual assault. He is also suspended from the university and is currently in jail awaiting payment of his $200,000 bail.

UPDATE Nov. 11, 1:30 p.m.: This story was updated to include additional responses. 

UPDATE Nov. 11, 1:36 p.m.: This story was updated to include information about location and specify that Shiva is under emergency suspension.