Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, was re-elected to his position Thursday.

Fitzgerald re-elected as state Senate majority leader, Roth tapped as Senate president

Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald was re-elected to a record fifth term Thursday, after helping to lead legislative Republicans to their biggest majorities in several decades.

No member opposed Fitzgerald, who was confirmed on a voice vote. The Juneau representative said he looked forward to leading the GOP caucus next session, which begins in January.

“I am honored to once again be representing this group of outstanding conservative leaders and thrilled to be growing our ranks for the upcoming legislative session,” Fitzgerald said in a statement. “I would like to welcome the new members of our caucus and congratulate all of the members elected and reelected to leadership roles for the coming session.”

State Sen. Roger Roth, R-Appleton, was elected to the role of Senate President, the procedural leader of the legislature’s upper house. The previous president, Mary Lazich of New Berlin, is retiring.

Roth said in a statement that he was “humbled” by the results of the election.

“I intend to work with my legislative colleagues from both parties and conduct the proceedings of the Senate with the full honor and respect that it deserves,” he said in the release. “The people of Wisconsin have entrusted to us the duty to work together on their behalf.”

State Sen. Leah Vukmir, R-Brookfield, was re-elected as assistant majority leader. In addition, state Sen. Howard Marklein, R-Spring Green, was elected as Senate president pro-tempore, state Sen. Sheila Harsdorf, R-River Falls, was voted in as caucus chair and state Sen. Van Wanggaard, R-Racine, won the title of vice caucus chair.

Senate Republicans have a likely 20-13 majority after Patrick Testin upset state Sen. Julie Lassa, D-Stevens Point, Tuesday.