Struggling Panthers hope to shock UW

The Georgia State Panthers certainly will have their work cut out for them this upcoming weekend when they face off against the Wisconsin Badgers. But in a college football season already littered with upsets and surprises, the Badgers should be prepared for anything to happen.

Very little has gone right for the Panthers so far this season. Simply put, their defense has struggled getting opposing teams off the field while their offense has struggled staying on it. Last week against the Air Force Falcons, the Panthers gave up 464 yards solely on the ground. Air Force had 30 first downs, 28 of which were on run plays, and five rushing touchdowns. While the Falcons’ production in the air paled in comparison with their run production, their mere 67 passing yards were a result of running only nine pass plays the entire game.

Two weeks ago in Georgia State’s loss to Ball State, the Panthers were not much better at stopping the run as they surrendered 325 rushing yards to the Cardinals’ offense. Such woes stopping the run don’t bode well for the Panthers this week as the Badgers three-headed backfield looks to build on the nearly 300-yard day they had last Saturday in their 54-10 victory over Akron. By Georgia State’s standards this season, though, holding the Badgers to under 300 yards would actually improve their rush defense numbers by a significant margin.

While the Panthers’ defense has struggled keeping teams off the field and out of the endzone, the Panthers’ offense has struggled to move the football all season long as well. In its two games so far GSU has converted only 25 first downs, less than half as many as the Badgers. Quarterback Conner Manning has played decently well without receiving much help from his teammates. Manning is 29-of-56 on the season and has thrown for just under 300 total yards. He has two touchdowns and zero interceptions.

Receiver Robert Davis has been Manning’s main target, catching 11 balls for 140 yards. Manning, though, has received no help from his running backs. In total the Panthers have only 128 yards on the ground. As a result, on average the Panthers possess the football for only 19:25, which by comparison translates to their opponents having the ball for two-thirds of the game. If the Panthers want to have any chance against the Badgers this weekend, they will need to run the ball more effectively to open up the passing lanes for Manning and tire out the Badger defenders.

Georgia State’s special teams unit hasn’t been much better than its offensive and defensive units. The Panthers surrendered a 99-yard kickoff return for a touchdown against the Falcons seconds after scoring the first of their two touchdowns Saturday afternoon. Additionally, this season the Panthers are yet to convert on a field goal. Such facts do not translate very well for the Panthers this weekend.

The Badgers face off against the best teams in the Big Ten after their matchup with the Panthers. Maybe the Badgers will look ahead this weekend and allow Georgia State to pull off a stunning upset. Stranger things have happened.