Out-of-state tuition hike harms all parties

Chancellor Rebecca Blank’s announcement that she intends to raise out-of-state tuition was an unforeseeable plot twist. Gov. Scott Walker’s tuition hike last year has been well-documented and sparked considerable controversy. Blank, however, was supposed to be our advocate, fighting on behalf of increasing the school’s budget and ensuring affordable education for all.

The catchphrase used by many proponents of the out-of-state tuition increase is “market value.” They claim that the university’s tuition was cheaper than comparable universities to begin with, so leveling the playing field is a justified action. They tout the move as a way to keep the university competitive and offset financial losses as a result of huge budget cuts. Both of these claims, however, are unfounded.

It is true that UW-Madison’s out-of-state tuition has, of late, been more affordable than similar schools. What tuition hike advocates fail to realize is that by increasing tuition, the school loses a considerable comparable advantage. To high-achieving students seeking a state school with strong academics, Wisconsin stands out (as it did for me) for being affordable. By raising tuition to the level of other elite public institutions, the university is risking losing many top candidates to other schools, as students who could otherwise afford it could now be deterred.

The university loves to tout its worldwide ranking—25th in the world, according to the Center for World University Rankings—to exemplify its academic prowess. Raising tuition on out-of-state students, however, will negatively impact our high standing in a couple ways. First (as mentioned above), out-of-state students will be less inclined to apply to and attend the school, and the University will have to lower its standards in order to ensure out-of-state students will continue to apply and enroll. 

Secondly, raising the tuition on out-of-state students will make accepting in-state students less of a priority. If out-of-state students pay more to attend, they will be seen as more valuable to a money-starved institution, as long as budgets continue to shrink. This will encourage an even higher acceptance rate (and lower standards for out-of-state students, provided they can pay the price). Fewer in-state students will be admitted to make room for those coming from elsewhere; as a result, there will be fewer UW-Madison alumni in the state, and the economy and quality of life could stagnate (as more people educated at UW-Madison leave the state, rather than stay in it).

The proposed hike also puts current students in a bind. Families that committed to paying a certain amount of money over four years have had to seriously adjust as a result of Walker’s actions, and if additional increases are approved, many will be faced with a difficult situation. Students who committed to being in the Class of 2019 are already saddled with an extra $27,000 more in tuition than they had expected—this before any further increases have been approved. 

Granted, many families will be able to afford the increase. Some students, however, will be forced to take as many credits as possible to graduate sooner, take out loans to afford the increase or consider going somewhere cheaper. Members of the community, many of whom are highly involved and active in making Madison the vibrant intellectual hub that it is, are being unfairly punished, rather than rewarded for their commitment to their school and their city.

It is worth noting that Blank has proposed raising tuition on both in- and out-of-state students, so all families would be forced to pay more. The state Legislature, however, holds firmly on its commitment to a tuition freeze, only further ensuring that out-of-state students will continue to be a high priority. 

Many people see the tuition raise as a necessary evil—they assume that since out-of-state kids can afford to come here as it is, they must be wealthy enough that they can easily just afford to pay a little bit more. In their minds, the hike prevents the cost for Wisconsinites from rising and helps to recoup the UW System’s losses. The proposal, however, is a dangerous one. 

Continuing to raise the cost of attendance for out-of-state students would not only deter future qualified students from choosing UW-Madison, it would also punish current students, make it all the more difficult for in-state kids to be accepted, hinder the state’s long-term quality of living and hurt the university’s high ranking in the world academic community. Nobody stands to gain, while everyone stands to lose. Plans such as these show that some people are losing sight of our proud state’s motto, our guiding principle: “Forward.” 

Sebastian is a sophomore majoring in history and environmental studies. Do you think the proposed tuition hike is a good way to ease the UW System’s  budgetary constraints? Please send all comments, questions and concerns to opinion@dailycardinal.com.