Students voice concerns over ASM Facebook posts concerning recent protest

The Associated Students of Madison Student Council heard from students angered over Facebook posts on ASM’s page last week, regarding recent responses to the arrest of Denzel McDonald, also known as King Shabazz.

ASM posted April 21 that it “stands in solidarity with underrepresented students on campus and all those that walked out of class [Thursday]” in response to Shabazz’s arrest.

“As a student of UW-Madison, I feel like this body of government is denying my ideals and fellow Badgers like myself,” said student Justin Lemke.

He continued to ask that ASM “return to their constitution to represent all students, all Badgers, all alike, not just a select few.”

Lemke stated that in contrast to ASM’s post, he did not support the protest because he felt the student it supported had defaced the university and disrupted the university’s learning environment.

Student Council Representative Katherine Sodeika prefaced her statement on the issue by saying she would not use the open forum to support or denounce the protesters, but wanted to promote “diversity in thought among the student body.”

However, Sodeika expressed concern that ASM made a statement clearly supporting the opinions of a certain student group.

“Not everyone agrees with the sentiments of the protesters that day,” Sodeika said. “By making a blanket statement, ASM alienated a large portion of the student body.”

Sodeika also expressed disappointment in ASM’s published letter to Chancellor Rebecca Blank that demanded cultural competency among administration.

“The letter assumes unanimity of opinion among students and of the council,” Sodeika said. “As a member of the session, I was never given the opportunity to agree or disagree.”

The letter cites Shabazz’s arrest as an example of lacking cultural competency and was signed “The 22nd Session of the Associated Students of Madison.”

ASM Chair Madison Laning said she takes full accountability for the Facebook post.

“I believe strongly that it was an inclusive post, and in my belief it was a way in which we can include everyone on this campus,” Laning said. “I'm very sorry to everyone who doesn't feel that way.”

Laning also said she recognized it was “out of line” to sign a letter from the 22nd Session without allowing representatives to view it first. However, she assured the council that through communication with media and the chancellor's office, it was clear who was involved in the letter’s crafting.