Legislative Affairs Committee Chair Carmen Goséy said there is a lack of transparency in the allocation of the UW System’s General 101 Fund.

Legislative Affairs Committee reviews tuition transparency, Wisconsin voting practices

The Associated Students of Madison Legislative Affairs Committee met Monday to discuss the Tuition Transparency campaign, as well as the usage of the Electronic Registration Information Center in Wisconsin voting.

Legislative Affairs Committee member Mara Matovich explained that the Tuition Transparency campaign seeks to clarify processes surrounding the General 101 Fund, which collects tuition money from each UW System school, as well as state tax dollars allocated to the UW System. In return, each school is reallocated a portion of the funds obtained in the General 101 Fund.

Committee chair Carmen Goséy said there is a lack of transparency when it comes to the General 101 Fund.

“We want to know the allocation process,” Goséy said.

Matovich underlined the need to see where the funds are allocated.

“[There is] talk of some of the money going toward research and graduate funding, and if you think of the campus makeup, it’s a majority of undergraduate students,” Matovich said. “So if that money was going more toward graduate studies, that’s not necessarily allocating it correctly.”

Goséy also announced the passage of a bill last month that will invoke the use of the Electronic Registration Information Center, a private company that will dictate some policies during the election process.

Goséy explained that allowing ERIC into Wisconsin voting would push the people further away from their constitutional rights.

“Legislators are elected, a private company is not,” Goséy said.

The committee will meet again next Monday at 7 p.m.