Badgers look to continue solid start to Big Ten play against Purdue

After a competitive home series against No. 24 Ohio State, Wisconsin (3-2-1 Big Ten, 18-14-1 overall) looks to continue its solid start to conference play.

UW won the opening game in comeback fashion 6-5 on a Melanie Cross walk-off homerun. Weather postponed the second game of the series and forced a Sunday doubleheader in which the Badgers lost game one 10-8 and a rare tie with the Buckeyes (6-1-1, 21-8-1) in game two 9-9.

The tie was Wisconsin’s first since 1998 and its first ever tie in a Big Ten game, per UWBadgers.com.

Cross continued to swing a hot bat, going 4 for 10, with eight RBIs, including a home run in each game in the Ohio State series. UW as a team also saw the ball well, tallying 27 hits over the three-game series, including 14 in the finale, and 26 walks in the series.

Wisconsin’s next opponent, Purdue (3-5, 21-16) is coming off a doubleheader split against Indiana.

The Boilermakers come in struggling on offense, averaging under three runs per game in Big Ten play and are coming off a combined four hits in their last two games against Indiana.

Due to expected inclement weather, Friday’s game at Goodman Diamond has been moved to Saturday as part of a doubleheader with game one beginning at 1 p.m. and game two to follow at approximately 3:30 p.m. Sunday’s series finale begins at 1 p.m.