Stewart shuts down Santa Clara, offense clicks in Badgers' 8-0 win

Led by the top of the batting order and strong pitching from senior Taylor-Paige Stewart, Wisconsin (10-9) shut out Santa Clara University 8-0 Friday in its first game in the Rebel Classic in Las Vegas, Nev.

The Badgers struck first in the opening inning thanks to hits by senior shortstop Ashley Van Zeeland and sophomore third baseman Kelsey Jenkins. A one-out RBI single by junior first baseman Sara Novak scored Van Zeeland and gave UW a 1-0 lead.

Van Zeeland and Novak teamed up again in the third inning. Van Zeeland’s second hit of the game, followed by a walk to Jenkins brought up Novak, who hit another RBI single to push the Badgers’ lead to 2-0. Sophomore Samantha Arents added one more run on an RBI double, as UW grabbed a 3-0 lead.

The Badgers pushed its lead to 5-0 in the fifth thanks to doubles by Jenkins, Novak and Arents.

Wisconsin added three more runs and extend its lead to 8-0 with another big inning in the sixth, with RBIs by Jenkins, Novak and junior catcher Chloe Miller.

Stewart shut out Santa Clara, allowing only four hits and two walks while striking out three in the six-inning game.

Wisconsin had a season-high 12 hits, including 10 from the first four batters, led by Van Zeeland, Jenkins and Arents with three apiece. Novak also had a team-high four RBIs.

Wisconsin continues play in the Rebel Classic Saturday night against Valparaiso at 5:45 p.m. and UNLV at 8 p.m.