Gov. Scott Walker appointed Jon Litscher last month following the resignation of former secretary Ed Wall.

New corrections secretary pledges reform before Senate Committee

Recently appointed Corrections Secretary Jon Litscher testified before a Senate committee Wednesday, following recent scandals at the state’s largest juvenile facilities.

Gov. Scott Walker appointed Litscher last month following the resignation of former secretary Ed Wall. He was previously the corrections secretary under Govs. Tommy Thompson and Scott McCallum and has since worked in the Beaver Dam School District.

He addressed the controversy that led to Wall’s resignation, pointing out his personal concern for the Lincoln Hills problem and addressing the need to resolve trust issues the department is facing.

“I believe sincerely and seriously that the care and treatment of our young juvenile offenders is a goal we should take with great seriousness, and with compassion,” Litscher said in his testimony.

He also expressed the expectation for various professional provision officers to place inmates in academic programs, work-study programs or work activities for the ultimate purpose of making them successful once they return to society.

“It is part of my responsibility to try and develop programs, make changes and also to develop the kind of relationships with our offenders both youthful and also adults that give them the opportunities for succeeding,” Litscher said.

State Sen. Leah Vukmir, R-Brookfield, questioned how Litscher plans to assess the qualifications of current staff.

Litscher described the evaluation process, saying an employee’s daily behavior is evaluated by supervisors to hold them accountable.

“Our goal is not to discharge people,” Litscher said. “But our goal is to deal with the seriousness of the offense whatever that may be, provide the proper training if that is part of the problem that exists and place that person back to his or her responsible position.”

Litscher’s hearing comes prior to his appointment being approved by the full Senate later this month.