Dane County Executive Joe Parisi announced Tuesday he would be allocating over $2 million for affordable housing.

Dane County allocates $2.25 million to affordable housing

Dane County Executive Joe Parisi announced Tuesday a $2.25 million fund to address affordable housing is open to community members for application.

The funding was established in the Affordable Housing Development fund, which allocates $2 million each year for four years to help the county combat unaffordable housing. There are two available funds: one for transitional housing for released offenders and one for housing the homeless.

Parisi stated, in the wake of more people moving to Dane County than any other county in Wisconsin, “we must continue to invest in affordable housing to help address the current housing challenges we face.” He also mentioned how “no one entity can solve our housing challenges alone.”

The fund is not the only example of Dane County’s work to ensure affordable housing. The County has also reached out to nine partners, such as Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority and Heartland Housing, to help fund a permanent supportive housing unit to open this summer.

This unit, located on Rethke Avenue, specifically helps the chronically homeless, particularly veterans. The housing unit works to address the multiple conditions the homeless may be facing through availability of mental health care, employment opportunities and other services dedicated to improving stability and self-sufficiency.

In 2015, four organizations were awarded funding for their help in supporting either ex-offenders, the homeless, low income residences or others with various conditions, such as veterans or those with disabilities.