Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson's unit will begin it's quest to bring home the program's fifth national title this weekend against Robert Morris. 

Wisconsin ices Minnesota State, draws closer to WCHA title

With win Sunday, Badgers can clinch first WCHA title since 2012

The No. 2 Wisconsin Badgers (23-1-1 WCHA, 29-1-1 overall) are one step closer to clinching their first WCHA conference title since 2012 after defeating Minnesota State (0-22-3, 3-24-4) 4-0 Saturday.

With the win, Wisconsin now has 71 points on the season. A victory tomorrow would give it 74 points before heading to Minnesota for the last series of the regular season. After a sweep of Minnesota Duluth this weekend, the Gophers will have 67 points, meaning even if they were to sweep the Badgers at home, it would be mathematically impossible for them to finish ahead of Wisconsin in the standings.

To be able to lock up the WCHA title before even playing Minnesota is not a position head coach Mark Johnson expected to be in this season.

“As we were marching through the second half [of the season], up until last Saturday when we were leaving Columbus, you see Minnesota lose to North Dakota in a shootout, and all of a sudden your window is open,” Johnson said. “And now you got to take advantage of your opportunity. We took care of it today and we get to play for [the conference title] tomorrow.”

The Badgers did indeed take care of business today, and the offense came from some different players than usual.

It was a sloppy start to the game for both sides, as Wisconsin dominated in terms of shots but didn’t have a lot of clean possessions. The game was following the pattern of the last few games against inferior opponents in that the Badgers couldn’t break through despite having plenty of chances. They finally got on the board in the first period when junior forward Sarah Nurse skated down the left side and sent a pass in on goal to fellow junior forward Sydney McKibbon, who pushed the puck into the net to put Wisconsin up by a goal.

After coming out of intermission and talking with coach Johnson, the Badgers emerged with more energy in the second period.

“I think [Johnson] just told us to stick to our game,” senior forward Erika Sowchuk said. “Do the little things right, win our 50-50 battles, and keep pushing the puck to the net and I think we executed that well and stuck to our game.”

Sowchuk was a big part of Wisconsin’s second period. Six minutes into the period, Sowchuk hit sophomore forward Baylee Welhausen up ahead on the counter, who then sped past the last defender and slotted a shot past the Minnesota State netminder, putting the Badgers up 2-0.

Only a couple minutes later Sowchuk found herself with the puck near the right circle. She cut in and delivered a beautiful shot that clanked off the far post and into the net, essentially sealing the game for Wisconsin.

“My linemates were working hard out there, and got the puck to me, it was a good goal and everyone contributed. I was just happy to put the puck in the net,” Sowchuk said.

The Badgers’ final goal came in the third when they capitalized on a power play opportunity. Senior captain Courtney Burke took a shot from the blue line, and McKibbon redirected the shot into the net, her second of the game. McKibbon’s two goals were her first since Oct. 31, and she was relieved to get back on the score sheet.

“It’s nice,” McKibbon said of finding the net. “Nurse made a nice play to me on the first one, credit her to that, and then Courtney made a nice pass, kind of a shot-pass, it’s been awhile so it’s nice to have success.”

Tomorrow could be a special day for Wisconsin. As the Badgers celebrate their senior day, with eight players set to graduate after this year, clinching a conference title—an accomplishment no player on the roster has done—could make it a day to remember.

The puck drops at 2 p.m. Sunday at LaBahn Arena.