Dakota Whyte

Seniors’ legacy extends beyond the court

Despite mixed results throughout their careers, women’s basketball seniors relished time at UW

In the eyes of many sports fans, an athlete is often solely measured in terms of their wins, losses and statistics. However, to a college athlete, their experience at a university goes way beyond those measures. To most college athletes reflecting on their career, the ability to grow and develop into a stronger and better person through playing a college sport is their standard metric.

Throughout the first few years the seniors on the Badgers women’s basketball team had at UW, they were so focused on winning they did not fully comprehend what it meant to play “Wisconsin basketball.” But now, as the season is coming to a close, seniors Nicole Bauman, Tessa Cichy, Michala Johnson and Dakota Whyte took some time to reflect on how Wisconsin basketball has helped develop them into the people that they are today. In light of the struggles since these seniors, in addition to Rosanna Gambino, arrived, the impact UW basketball has had on them is not adequately reflected in the 42-78 combined record in the past four years.

To Bauman, who is from New Berlin, Wis., Wisconsin basketball has always been about playing with pride.

“I was lucky enough to play here my sophomore year of high school in the championship game and we actually won state on this court, and ever since then the floor has just been the world to me,” Bauman said, referring to why playing at UW is so special. “For me and for Tessa and for [Avyanna Young] it’s playing for your home state. Just playing for your home town and representing.”

For Whyte, who is from Toronto, Canada, she understands the impact Wisconsin basketball has had through a different light.

“Definitely to never quit,” Whyte said. “That’s the number one thing that being a Badger is all about, men’s side and women's side.”

In addition to Badger basketball eliciting a sense of pride and determination for these seniors, UW basketball has impressed on the players the significance of putting teammates and peers above themselves. Cichy realized the importance of leaving a selfless legacy after teammate and fellow walk-on Lexy Richardson told Cichy that her attitude represents what it means to wear the Wisconsin ‘W’.

“It was very rewarding knowing I had that impact on people who I respect and basketball players who I care about,” Cichy said. “I think that was very special to me, having Lexy say that about me [after the senior day game], because I respect her so much and it’s nice having your teammates say stuff about you. Not only does it remind you why you’re here, but it reminds you that people care and that you do make a difference if it isn't through wins.”

For these seniors, understanding the importance of Wisconsin basketball, and buying into its selfless nature, has helped this veteran corps see improvements in their personal life.

“It’s just about being patient throughout this whole process,” Johnson said, referring to the frustrating 3-15 Big Ten conference record, and 7-21 record overall for UW this season. “It’s been a long season for us, it’s been up and down. Of course, I wish we had more ups than downs, but I mean just being positive throughout the whole process.”

Similar to the composure that Johnson has learned to embrace, Whyte has had to learn to be patient throughout the duration of her career.

“I remember my first practice here I couldn't make a three so I ran out of the gym and I laid on the floor like, ‘I can’t do this,’ Whyte said. “But it showed me that once you put your mind to something you can continuously play.”

Clearly, Whyte’s extended patience and embracing of the Wisconsin “no-quit” philosophy has allowed her to expand her game over her last four years at UW. Whyte scored just 2.4 points per game and averaged a 13.3 shooting percentage from behind the arc as a freshman but has improved to 13.1 points per game (second on the team) and a 34.2 3-point shooting percentage this year.

Just as Whyte saw her game expand throughout the duration of her career, so did Cichy. Cichy, however, saw the most improvement in her leadership and interactions with her teammates.

“I’ve learned so much not just about myself but the world around me and how to interact with people. I think that’s what I will miss the most about playing basketball. It’s the team aspect because that is what really means the most to me,” Cichy said. “Interacting with other people and how to succeed with other people is something that I have learned and relearned and that’s something that I will always appreciate from my experience here. It’s gotten me prepared for the real world.”

For Cichy, the Big Ten tournament will be the final basketball games of her career, so the fact that Badger basketball has allowed her to see improvement in her personal interactions will be invaluable in the “real world.” Bauman, Johnson and Whyte, conversely, do expect to continue their basketball careers after college. Bauman expects to play in Europe, Johnson in the WNBA (after a tryout with the New York Liberty) and Whyte for her Canadian national team. Still, just like Cichy, the improvements they have seen throughout their career will continue to be important in their lives going forward.

These seniors, who have experienced constant ups and downs in their career, consider Wisconsin basketball an invaluable source of their personal development.

“I don’t regret anything,” Cichy said. “Everything that’s happened to this point has gotten me to where I am today, and I like where I am today. That’s all you can ever ask for.”