Dallas Jeanty

Linebacker Dallas Jeanty has the potential to immediately make an impact for the 2016 Badgers. 

Meet the 2016 recruiting class

It’s official. The National Letters of Intent for head coach Paul Chryst’s first full recruiting class have been signed, sealed and faxed to the UW Athletics office. This class may be the best class of incoming freshmen signed in recent memory, and includes players from 15 different states, including five All-Americans. Let’s take a look at the class and find out a bit about some of our newest Badgers.

Luke Benzschawel, DL, 6-7, 255; Grafton, Wis. (Grafton)

That last name should be familiar to any Badger fan for three reasons. Luke Benzschawel has an older brother already on the team (Beau) and a dad and uncle who played for the Badgers in the 1980s and early ‘90s. Playing for Grafton High School, the 6-foot-7 defensive end is talented in his own right, logging 170 tackles and 13 sacks over two years of varsity play, as well as catching 23 passes as a tight end. Look out Madison, there’s yet another Benzschawel in town.

Tyler Biadasz, DL, 6-4, 270; Amherst, Wis. (Amherst)

Playing for tiny Amherst High School, which is a little way outside Stevens Point, Wis., Tyler Biadasz was a man among boys with a keen eye for the ball. Whether it was making a tackle or running the ball, he was able to do a bit of everything, and that bit of everything helped his team win back-to-back state championships. Look for Biadasz to contribute at defensive end during his time as a Badger.

Sam Brodner, RB, 5-10, 210; Glen Ellyn, Ill. (Glenbard West)

Sam Brodner is an aggressive, prolific running back out of Glenbard West High School that fans can get really excited about. In the state championship game this year, Brodner went off for 264 yards and four touchdowns in one of the toughest divisions in the state of Illinois. A versatile talent who can also play linebacker and receiver, look for Brodner to make his mark whenever the ball is in his hands.

Noah Burks, LB, 6-3, 221; Carmel, Ind. (Carmel)

Badger fans, you better get ready for another animal of a linebacker with a nose for the football. Playing for Carmel High School, Noah Burks had 259 tackles and 36 tackles for loss in just two seasons. Burks, a Semper Fi All-American, also had three interceptions last year in addition to his insane tackle count.

Eric Burrell, S, 6-0, 180; Severn, Md. (McDonogh School)

Eric Burrell is a safety who can make big, important tackles, which is great, and also has the speed and agility to get a pick-six, which is even better. Playing for the McDonogh School outside of Washington, D.C., Burrell can break up even the most complicated passing attacks when they come his way.

Dontye Carriere-Williams, CB, 5-10, 176; Hallandale Beach, Fla. (St. Thomas Aquinas)

Coming from what is arguably the top high school football program in the country, St. Thomas Aquinas, Dontye Carriere-Williams was able to help his team to two state championships. Carriere-Williams is known for making receivers work for their catches and often breaking up and intercepting passes in the process.

Quintez Cephus, WR, 6-2, 190; Macon, Ga. (Stratford Academy)

Quintez Cephus is a rare double talent—he is an NCAA Division I-caliber athlete in both football and basketball who had his choice of schools to pick from in both sports. A wide receiver on the football field, Cephus is extremely agile and was commonly seen making one-handed catches and long runs last season at Stratford Academy. Oh, and did we mention that his basketball skills got him featured on SportsCenter’s Top Ten a few weeks ago? Look for the athletic ability seen in his vicious dunk to easily translate over to the gridiron.

Seth Currens, S, 6-3, 205; Pickerington, Ohio (Central)

Seth Currens is a safety from Ohio who is strong enough to be a talented tackler and tall enough to bat down passes to even the biggest receivers. A threat to any quarterback or offensive player, Currens knows how to react to offensive plays, mostly because he played on both sides of the ball—as a quarterback, receiver and a safety—at Pickerington Central High School.

Griffin Grady, LB, 6-2, 205; Dublin, Ohio (Coffman)

Griffin Grady is a tackle machine. With almost 300 tackles in his three-year varsity career, this linebacker had opponents of Coffman High School shaking their heads when they realized they would have to play against him. Look for Grady to make an impact at outside linebacker—he is a very similar player to now-graduated Joe Schobert.

Deron Harrell, CB, 6-3, 175; Denver, Colo. (East)

Deron Harrell is a very tall cornerback from Denver who also had college potential in basketball. At Denver East High School, Harrell played both quarterback and corner, proving to Wisconsin’s coaches that he is versatile on both sides of the ball, as well as on the basketball court. Those basketball skills definitely helped Harrell on the gridiron this past year, where he snagged four interceptions.

Jake Hescock, TE, 6-7, 240; Pittsfield, Mass. (Salisbury School)

Jake Hescock is a huge guy at 6-foot-7. The fact that he can block like a lineman and run and catch like a wide receiver makes this athletic freak a perfect fit for the Badgers at tight end. Although Hescock is from Massachusetts, he played for Salisbury School in Connecticut and caught many opponents by surprise due to his size and pass catching ability.

Dallas Jeanty, LB, 6-1, 235; Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (Fort Lauderdale)

Dallas Jeanty is a linebacker from Fort Lauderdale High School who has already enrolled at UW. A Semper Fi All-American, Jeanty is king of the sack, taking down the quarterback 26 times during his junior and senior years of high school. Quarterbacks beware: Jeanty is coming for you.

Patrick Johnson, S, 6-1, 185; Washington, D.C. (The Bullis School)

Although Patrick Johnson missed his senior season at The Bullis School due to an injury, his junior year stats are nothing to sneeze at. This safety loves him some pick-sixes, recording multiple touchdowns on the defensive side of the ball. Another plus for the Badgers? Johnson can also punt.

Patrick Kasl, OL, 6-6, 280; Wyoming, Minn. (Forest Lake)

Playing for Forest Lake High School, offensive tackle Patrick Kasl never won a single high school football game. Despite this, Kasl has developed into one of the most elite high school linemen in the country and recorded over 50 pancake tackles in his senior season, making him a hot commodity for offensive line coach Joe Rudolph.

Anthony Lotti, P, 6-1, 190; Flowery Branch, Ga. (West Hall)

It’s pretty unusual to get a punter on a full-ride scholarship, but Anthony Lotti is going to be a player who can come in and contribute immediately due to the exhaustion of Drew Meyer’s eligibility. Regularly cranking out 50-yard or more punts with good hang time at West Hall High School, Lotti fills a dire position need with top-end talent.

Isaiahh Loudermilk, DL, 6-7, 270; Howard, Kan. (West Elk)

Loudermilk is a complete monster of a defensive end out of Kansas who is so big he can pretty much swallow a quarterback up when he’s going in for a sack. Playing eight-man football for West Elk High School, he was definitely the biggest guy on the field, and he is definitely one of the biggest guys in this class. As they say, you can’t teach size, and Loudermilk has the coveted combo of both size and skill.

Kare´ Lyles, QB, 6-2, 210; Scottsdale, Ariz. (Saguaro)

It’s not everyday that a college team will get a top-end quarterback talent who also happens to be a legacy, and that is exactly what the Badgers got with Kare´ Lyles, whose father, Kevin, was a tight end at Wisconsin in the mid 1990s. Lyles, out of Saguaro High School in Arizona, is talented in his own right; he led his team to two consecutive state championships while throwing for a whopping 6,981 yards as a varsity player. Leaving his own legacy isn’t really a tall order for the younger Lyles. He will have a talented class surrounding him as he’ll lead the Badgers to future victories.

Ke’Shan Pennamon, CB, 5-11, 182; Callahan, Fla. (West Nassau County)

A three-time All-State player in talent-rich Florida, Pennamon is a tough tackling cornerback who is also lightning fast. He played running back in high school as well. This versatile talent has potential on both sides of the ball and will be fun to watch wherever he is on the field.

Keldric Preston, DL, 6-4, 245; Tampa, Fla. (Robinson)

Keldric Preston is a player opponents don’t want to line up across from. Actually, they probably don’t want him anywhere on the field if they want to win. He’ll battle it out with you if you’re an offensive lineman, tackle you if you’re a running back or receiver, sack you if you’re a quarterback and he’ll also block your field goals if you’re a kicker. Preston, who will probably line up at defensive end for the Badgers, is a player who knows how to create exciting moments.

Kendric Pryor, WR/CB, 6-1, 170; Hazel Crest, Ill. (Homewood-Flossmoor)

Kendric Pryor is one of the only players in this class who was recruited to play on both sides of the ball. Primarily a receiver, he had 12 receiving touchdowns as a senior at Homewood-Flossmoor High School. He was also a talented kick returner in high school, so his skills will translate well if he plays on the defensive side of the ball and ends up with an interception.

Garrett Rand, DL, 6-2, 280; Chandler, Ariz. (Hamilton)

Garrett Rand is hands down the winner of Mr. First Off The Bus for this class. Able to bench 560 pounds and squat over 600, this nose tackle has been dubbed the “strongest player in America” by recruiting analysts. An Army All-American, Rand can go up against any offensive lineman no problem, and is an expert at ensuring his team gets the ball again as fast as possible, as he recorded 15 sacks in his senior year at Hamilton High School alone.

Mason Stokke, LB, 6-3, 205; Menomonie, Wis. (Menomonie)

Mason Stokke is not only one of the best football players in the state of Wisconsin, he is also one of the best wrestlers as well and, like Cephus, he had choices of where to go and what sport to play in college. Playing both linebacker (what he’ll play in Madison) and running back at Menomonie High School, Stokke is both shifty and strong as well as a tackle machine.

AJ Taylor, WR, 6-0, 190; Kansas City, Mo. (Rockhurst)

Many football fans became aware of AJ Taylor due to his unique commitment announcement, as he decided to let the world know he was going to be a Badger with a “Collegeopoly” board. A Semper Fi All-American, Taylor, the top player in Missouri, played both running back and receiver at Rockhurst High School. Even more impressive? Taylor is at least one full year younger than the rest of this class—he began his senior year at 16. Look for Taylor to be a game-changer in the slot.

Cole Van Lanen, OL, 6-5, 280; Green Bay, Wis. (Bay Port)

The undisputed gem of this class from a recruiting standpoint, Army All-American Cole Van Lanen is elite. He can create a matchup disaster for other teams’ defenses in the trenches as an offensive guard, and plays with a nasty streak that his teammates, coaches and Badger fans alike will love to watch.

Caesar Williams, CB, 6-1, 175; Grand Prairie, Texas (South)

Caesar Williams is a player who gets all up in opponents’ faces. A cornerback from South Grand Prairie High School in Texas, Williams is a solid kick returner as well as a receiver’s nightmare. Playing in Texas’ largest division (think enrollment 2-4 times as large as the biggest schools in Wisconsin), Williams went up against top competition every game and delivered, leading his section in interceptions as a senior.