Badgers topple No. 4 Michigan State at home

After losing five games by three points or less this season, Wisconsin (10-9 overall, 2-4 Big Ten) finally received a break as it upset No. 4 Michigan State (16-3, 3-3) 77-76 in a thriller at the Kohl Center Sunday.

“I knew he was going to finish it,” junior guard Bronson Koenig said.

On the previous possession, Happ played stout defense on Michigan State guard Eron Harris, who turned the ball over to UW with 22.7 seconds remaining and allowed Happ to make the winning layup.

“Ethan, it’s no secret, is growing and learning,” head coach Greg Gard said.

Happ contributed 14 points and 8 rebounds, but Koenig’s and Nigel Hayes’ offensive efforts truly propelled the Badgers Sunday.

The duo combined for 52 points and six 3-pointers, and Koenig’s 27 points were a career high.

As a whole, the Badgers put on an efficient effort, as they knocked down 44.7 percent of their shots and had their highest scoring game in four games.

Despite MSU going on a 12-2 run to start the second half, neither team led by more than six points and each team traded leads for nearly the entire duration of the game.

Despite out-rebounding and having a better shooting percentage than Wisconsin, the Spartans struggled with fouls, as their 28 fouls gave the Badgers 36 free throw attempts. UW hit 29 of those opportunities, a season high.

“There’s a saying that goes if you hit more free throws than the other team, then you usually win,” Hayes said.

Michigan State All-American Denzel Valentine looked healthy after missing three weeks with a knee injury. The star scored 23 points, dished out seven assists and drilled four 3-pointers.

Up next, the Badgers will fly to State College, Penn., where they will face Penn State Thursday.