The Marquee

Many students take advantage of the free movies at the Marquee.

Madison's weekend entertainment

Now that the weekend is here, let’s consider our entertainment options. 

Suit and tie optional

Gallery Night is intended to  show off the work of talented artists from Madison. It takes place in the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. and is free. There is also an after party in the MMoCA Lobby from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. which is free to members and $5 for nonmembers. 

Just Bust!

Try your hand at spoken word at an open-mic night in the Red Gym. The event takes place Friday at 8:30 p.m., and anything from poetry to music is welcome. 

A play-ful evening

The Wisconsin Wrights New Play Festival is featuring “In a Clearing,” “Faithless” and “Learning to Stay.” This festival features Wisconsin-based playwrights. 

Catch a flick

“Spy” starring Melissa McCarthy is the featured flick at the Marquee this weekend. The Union South theatre is also showing “Bride of Frankenstein,” “They Live” and “The Diary of a Teenage Girl. ”

Sea glass and tikis

Wheelhouse Studios is hosting Free Art Friday from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. in Memorial Union. There will be the option  of making sea glass necklaces and tiki bottles. Wheelhouse Studious will also be hosting a T-shirt screenprinting event Sunday and a 1-2-3 sewing class. 

If you want to be a Badger 

The Badger Bash will take place before the Iowa game at Union South Saturday. The Northern Hooks will be there as well as the University of Wisconsin Marching Band.

An evening of hip-hop

Local artist F. Stokes will be perfomring with DJ Radish and Kobby Brewoo. The concert will be Friday night at The Sett in Union South from 9 p.m. to 11:55 p.m.

Get jazzy

Behind the Beat, a weekly jazz and Americana music series will take place at Der Rathskeller from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Friday. 

Check The Daily Cardinal each Thursday to find out what to do for entertainment in Madison each weekend. Hint: We like things that are free.