Who won what: A breakdown of the 2015 Emmys

The 67th Annual Emmy Awards featured an evening of tears, laughter and Andy Samberg. 

The night opened with a video depicting Samberg in a room full of actors who overwhelmed him with more and more shows that he just had to see. Eventually he freaked out and locked himself away in a bunker to catch up on the latest and greatest in television. After a great deal of time Samberg came out of his hole bearded and smelly, singing that he had seen every show but then posing the question: at what cost?

Though the video was for comedic purposes and went over with big laughs from the audience, it highlighted this idea that the amount of shows available on television and through online streaming services has created a staggering amount of content and it is almost impossible to see it all. This also points to the fact that at this year’s Emmy’s the competition was fiercer than ever. 

The big winners of the night for individual shows were “Game of Thrones” for Outstanding Drama Series and “Veep” for Outstanding Comedy Series. “The Daily Show” took home Outstanding Variety Talk Series, “Inside Amy Schumer” won Outstanding Variety Sketch Series and “The Voice” claimed Outstanding Reality-Competition Program. Also notable were repeated wins from “Transparent” and “Olive Kitteridge”

The stars of the night included John Hamm winning Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series for his role in “Mad Men,” Viola Davis winning Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for her role in “How to Get Away with Murder,” Jeffrey Tambor winning Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series for his role in “Transparent” and Julia Louise -Dreyfus winning Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series for her role in “Veep.”

Davis was the first black woman to win an award in her category.

This year also marked a time to salute and say goodbye to some fan favorites like “Parks and Recreation” and “Mad Men,” as they had seen their final seasons this year on the air.