Memorial Union Terrace

A fun day at the Memorial Union Terrace turned into a theoretical discussion on the merits of opinion in general.

Yik Yak shows the downside of opinion

I spent all afternoon Friday, April 17 lying on the dock by Memorial Union. Yeah, I would absolutely hate me too. But I finished class at 9:40 a.m., and winter is apparently back, so for all we know that quite literally might have been the nicest day Wisconsin will have until June. So, I took advantage of it. Allowing my alarmingly Irish skin to fry like a cheese curd in the minimally intense sunshine.

I recently downloaded Yik Yak, the popular app where people in your area post blurbs, much like tweets, anonymously. Yes, recently. It’s a long story about my separation anxiety with iPhone’s 2012 software. But when I was sitting on the dock, minding my own business, I spent a couple of minutes scrolling through this app. It is no secret that anonymity really brings out the bite in people, but some of the Yaks that I read were rather unsettling. I understand that we all have freedom of speech, and I am in no way attempting to dispute that. But I read some things that were almost overly opinionated, and mind you that is coming from a girl who literally writes opinions for a newspaper. So that should tell you something.

The Yaks that I read had opinions ranging from fashion to feminism to race, all on a tiny screen with new updates every few seconds. The Yak that originally struck me, as stupid as this sounds, was one about hating high-waisted shorts (mostly because I read it on the dock while wearing high-waisted shorts). What? How can you not love high-waisted shorts? They hold in the trouble spots and make your tush look top-notch. But reading these Yaks that were written by people who I assume have no less knowledge of fashion and trends than Karl Lagerfeld, I found myself questioning what I chose to wear.

I kept scrolling and came across a couple of Yaks about “backpack sweat,” FAC and my personal favorite, the struggle of wearing athletic shorts during “sundress season.” All of these were passably neutral and harmless.

Then there were, as there are on any anonymous website, the deeply appalling comments that were made clearly to get a rise out of the readers. These are far too offensive to repeat, but the idea is that it worked; people were worked up enough to put in the energy to respond.

This is what I find more troubling—the reaction, not the source of said reaction. Is irrational name-calling and anger really a way to solve a problem on Yik Yak? This will doubtfully progress into a peaceful conclusion or agreement. People will always say what they want to say, occasionally to a fault. But some arguments simply aren’t worth joining.

In some ways, I am a bit of a pacifist, which I understand is rather unusual when defending one’s beliefs. However, I do believe that things are not always black and white. People will always have their opinions, and we the public do not have to reach a consensus on every miniscule issue.

I frickin love my high-waisted shorts. And sometimes I get some rip-roaring backpack sweat. Hell, sometimes even in the winter it happens when I’m waiting in line at Gordon’s checkout with a particularly sexy waffle on my tray. Is this socially acceptable? Will everyone find this attractive? Maybe not. But pretending to hide my excitement over some fresh, hot breakfast food simply is not who I am. I am an avid breakfast enthusiast, I love high-waisted shorts, on average I consume approximately four times the amount of chewy bars per week than what is probably safe, I hate chubbies, love the lake, am really not a fan of pop music and think hiding my roommates clothes hangers in her bed is pretty funny.

Those are my opinions. You do not have to agree, you do not have to understand, but you need to respect them. You can learn a lot from other perspectives. Do not chase them away. Embrace them.

Marisa is a freshman and is currently undecided on her major. What do you think of her take on this social media platform? Do you have any personal experience with the mobile application known as Yik Yak? Have you similarly found it to be rife with contentious, yet meaningless debate? Do you disagree? We want to know what you think. Please send all thoughts and comments to opinion@dailycardinal.com