German professor aims to dispel Amish stereotypes

As a Mennonite, UW-Madison German professor Mark Louden said he is aware of the minimal understanding of Amish life and hopes to dispel stereotypes and generate knowledge about this unique culture.

Louden is organizing outreach efforts to Wisconsin's Amish and Old Order Mennonite, or “Plain,” communities, according to a university statement released April 29.

Serving as the codirector of UW-Madison's Max Kade Institute for German-American Studies, Louden engages in various outreach efforts. He acts as an interpreter between Amish groups and medical or legal professionals, and visits schools throughout Wisconsin to address Amish history.

Louden also serves on the advisory board of a project to improve newborn screenings in Amish communities.

"My role on the advisory board for this project is to bridge the gap between the Amish and outsiders, by explaining mainly to outsiders who the Plain people are and how their faith informs their everyday life and culture," Louden said in the release.

Through this work, Louden hopes to have a positive impact on these communities.

"I see this work as upholding the Wisconsin Idea,” Louden said in the release. “One of the most important aspects of my job is the opportunity to do public outreach.”