Omar Sosa blends Yoruba, Cuban culture on Ilé

On the cover of Omar Sosa’s newest release, with bright sky blue as the background, the sandy texture of Ilé represents the desert and authentic cultural paintings on the artist’s body, and hits the soul. Passionate lines intertwined with long pauses engage the listener in deep thoughts, while rhythmic background drums linger on the mind. Background female voices, like in “A Love Lost,” and the light sounds of flute blend together until we no longer can distinguish the difference, implying the root of humans is in nature.

The album contains Sosa’s tender, emotional and down-to-earth voices, but also a collection of piano performances, including in “Momento I,” where the seven-time Grammy-nominated pianist is celebrated and engaged in a dialogue with Cuban saxophonist Yosvany Terry.

While the exotic sounds awakens our ears, it is important to notice the cultural implications for foreign musicians to return to their authentic roots and deliver on what has influenced their whole life. Sosa does not abandon or forget what has always been in his mind since his first musical encounter, which creates this refreshing experience for the listeners who may not be familiar with Cuban music. Even from a glimpse at the title of the songs, including “Old Afro a Baba,” we are expected to embrace some calls from his past and the most spritiual voice that connects human being to nature. 

Not only mastering traditional instruments and fusing them into this album, Sosa also uses variations of the piano, including electric piano and the acoustic grand piano, alongside a soprano saxophone to represent a dialogue with instruments in individual records such as “4U” and “Mentiras Enemigas.” What keeps the listener so absorbed is the transition from vocal and emotional lyrics in English to Yoruban, as well as the transitions between spiritual rhythms to pure dialogue between musical instruments and a mixture of all elements. The listener never knows what is expected from the next hit and I was eager to explore more when the first few notes hit the air.

It is also noteworthy to mention the supporting artists that have contributed to this album, including his fellow Camagüeyanos: Ernesto Simpson on drums, Leandro Saint-Hill on alto saxophone, flute and clarinet, and Mozambican electric bassist Childo Tomas—collectively known as Quarteto AfroCubano. Other special guests also include Cuban percussionist Pedro Martinez, American guitarist Marvin Sewell and maestro Eladio “Don Pancho” Terry. Last but not least is spoken word artist Kokayi. It is the collaboration between these artists that share the same roots that made this wonderful music experience possible.