Madison police arrest three suspects in West Towne Mall, Russett Road shooting cases

In what is reported to be gang-related violence in an ongoing dispute, Jeffrey E. Mitchell shot 18-year-old Lawrence E. Drake on Russett Road after firing shots at a group of rival gang members in the parking lot of West Towne Mall Feb. 28, according to the case file.

Madison Police Department announced in a Friday press conference the arrests of three men charged in relation to the first-degree intentional homicide and shots fired, according to MPD Sgt. Tim Radke.

Mitchell has been charged with six felonies—including first-degree intentional homicide—and one misdemeanor, according to Circuit Court documents filed Friday and the court documents.

Officer Reginald Davis said in the report he was working a “special duty” assignment in the mall at 5:15 p.m. when mall security informed him of a “very agitated and swearing” man talking on his phone. Davis said he spoke with the man, who was later identified as Maurice Bowman.

A short time later, Davis heard of a fight in the food court. As he approached the area, he heard security report shots had been fired, according to the report.

MPD Sgt. Matthew Schroedl reported responding to the shots fired call at the mall. Police found both .22 caliber and .380 caliber spent shell casings located in the parking lot, according to the report.

Brothers Jamal M. and Jacob I. Greer, were arrested in direct relation to the West Towne Mall shooting incident, according to MPD Lt. Kelly Donahue.

A witness said in the report he saw a group running away after he heard the first “pop” around 5:40 p.m. and later saw a man identified as Jamal Greer holding a gun in front of him in the direction the group had been running. Greer reportedly fired three shots at the group.

Approximately five hours after the West Towne Mall shooting incident, MPD officers responded to a report of a person shot at 5802 Russett Road. Drake, the victim, was shot three times in the face, arm and back, with a bullet entering his lung.

Responders conveyed him to UW Hospital emergency center, where he later entered surgery in a “stable” condition, according to an MPD incident report.

MPD investigator Tom Parr located fired 9mm shell casings at the scene.

The officers began contacting apartments, looking for a suspect. Upon their arrival, Mitchell jumped from the second-story balcony, attempting to flee. He possessed two concealed weapons at the time of his arrest.

Upon verbal command from the police, Bowman and Jerry Badon, who had active warrants and whom police suspected of potential involvement, revealed themselves in the apartment from which Mitchell came and were taken into custody.

Officer Greg Rossetti reported accompanying the victim into surgery, where Drake told the officer that Badon, Bowman and Mitchell were responsible for shooting him.

Mitchell, accompanied by Bowman and Badon, reportedly used a handgun to shoot Drake in the face for insulting Bowman’s child. When he ran, Mitchell reportedly shot him in the back.

State Special Prosecutor Jason D. Sanders and Mitchell appeared in court and entered a not guilty plea to any misdemeanor counts. The cash bond is set at $75,000.

The preliminary hearing is scheduled for March 12 at 8:30 a.m. at the Dane County Courthouse.

MPD Officer-in-Charge Galen Wiering, who is not directly involved with the case, said that although Mitchell was charged with “intentional homicide,” there has been no confirmation that the victim died.

Correction: In a previous version of this article, Jason D. Sanders was identified as a public defender. He is a special prosecutor in the district attorney's office.