Revelry Annoucement

Members of the Revelry Music and Arts Festival staff spray-painted the festival line-up onto a chalkboard outside Memorial Union. 

Chance the Rapper, Chainsmokers among 2015 Revelry Festival headliners

The lineup for the 2015 Revelry Music and Arts Festival was released Sunday, with Chance the Rapper and the Social Experiment and the Chainsmokers among the headliners. The third annual festival will be held May 2, with stages on Library Mall and the Memorial Union Terrace.

Joining Chance the Rapper and the Chainsmokers are British synthpop duo AlunaGeorge, multi-genre band Until the Ribbon Breaks, rapper Mick Jenkins and singer-songwriter Nick Hakim.

Chance the Rapper is a Chicago-based rapper who released his first mixtape, “10 Day,” in 2011, and rode a wave of praise in 2013 with his critically acclaimed second mixtape, Acid Rap. Chance, along with his band the Social Experiment, are currently on tour, and recently played South by Southwest in Austin, Texas.

Hailing from New York City, the Chainsmokers garnered immense attention last year for their two high-energy electronic singles, “#Selfie” and “Kanye.” The duo has been remixing other artists’ tracks for the last three years, and signed with 604 Records last year.

AlunaGeorge, comprised of vocalist Aluna Francis and producer George Reid, have been working together since 2009, and gained popularity in 2013 with their debut album, Body Music. The group has since collaborated with fellow British artist Disclosure, and came in second in BBC’s Sound of 2013 contest.

Until the Ribbon Breaks, a multi-genre band from Cardiff, Wales, have been remixing popular tracks over the last three years, and will release their debut album, A Lesson Unlearnt, this year. The group blends popular electronic drumbeats with searing vocals, and the group was featured on Run the Jewels’ 2013 track, “Job Well Done.”

Mick Jenkins, a rapper with Cinematic Music Group who released his fourth mixtape, “The Water[s],” in 2014, has been praised for his acid-jazz infused tracks, and worked with fellow-headliner Chance the Rapper in 2013 on “Cross Roads.” Jenkins toured last fall with Method Man, Redman and B-Real, promoting his highly acclaimed 2014 mixtape.

Currently preparing for an American and Canadian tour, Washington, D.C.-based singer-songwriter Nick Hakim combined smooth vocals, crisp guitar and bluesy drums to craft two excellent mixtapes, “Where Will We Go Pt. 1” and “Pt. 2.” His soulful music is a contrast to his fellow headliners, but the power behind his performance is sure to excite the audience when he takes the stage.  

For this year’s festival, Revelry’s student Executive Director Ben Arden noted that Revelry is attracting both national and international acts. Festival goers are sure to enjoy the variety in this year’s lineup, and more bands will be announced throughout the next six weeks.

Tickets for the festival will be $10 for students and $30 for the general public, and are available at the Memorial Union box office, as well as TicketMaster. Follow The Daily Cardinal through the next six weeks as we cover the performers coming to the third annual Revelry Music and Arts Festival.

Correction: A previous version of this article stated that Chance the Rapper's second mixtape, Acid Rap, was an album. The Daily Cardinal regrets this error.