Badgers ready for postseason success

It’s an exciting time for UW sports as the diving and track and field teams are preparing to compete for Big Ten titles, and the men’s basketball team seeks to clinch a share of the Big Ten title.

Men’s basketball

The Badgers (13-1 Big Ten, 25-2 overall) are coming off a successful week that saw them earn hard fought victories over Big Ten foes Penn State and Minnesota.

At Bo Ryan’s Monday press conference, point guard Traevon Jackson’s absence from the team was unsurprisingly the main topic of conversation. Ryan made it clear that Jackson would not be seeing the floor until approval from doctors.

“Well, I want to compete in the Ironman too,” Ryan quipped. “They're trying to make sure that he's going to be able to walk properly, run properly, do things later in life so that's why the medical staff determines, not Trae, not us as coaches, the medical staff determines if he's ready to go.”

Wisconsin travels to Maryland to battle the No. 15 Terrapins Tuesday. With a win, the Badgers would clinch a share of the Big Ten title, which would be their first since 2008. Ryan said the team is taking things slow.

“Trying to make sure we're getting the most out of these guys and trying to save their legs and lungs,” Ryan said. “Just hard to believe there is only two weeks left.”

Women’s hockey

The Badgers (19-6-3 WCHA, 24-6-4 overall) are gearing up for the first round of the WCHA Playoffs this coming weekend against a familiar opponent in St. Cloud State. UW split a series against St. Cloud State this past week, losing a nail-biter 2-1 before blowing out the Huskies 5-0 Sunday. Head coach Mark Johnson addressed the challenges of facing a familiar opponent in the playoffs.

“The toughest thing is everybody knows quite a bit about each now after having played them in a short period of time,” Johnson said. “Both teams will make some adjustments; your power play and your penalty kill becomes more magnified in these type of games.”

The Badgers will be leaning on standout freshmen Annie Pankowski—the nation’s leading freshman goal scorer—and Emily Clark to provide the offensive punch to advance in the playoffs.

Women’s basketball

UW (4-12 Big Ten, 8-18 overall) is looking to regroup after a tough week that saw its losing streak extend to five games, tying a season high. The Badgers competed fiercely against top competition, but ultimately fell to both No. 5 Maryland and Northwestern, who just entered the Top 25.

Despite the mounting losses, head coach Bobbie Kelsey kept a positive tone.

“These kids are battling. They're not giving up. Some teams would have packed it in by now,” Kelsey said. “I’m very proud of them.”

The Badgers experienced heartbreak on Senior Night this past Sunday, losing in agonizing fashion in overtime to Northwestern. Senior AnnMarie Brown had a chance to tie the game in overtime but missed a last minute layup.

“I felt really bad for AnnMarie. She's battled back from injury, and for her to have that shot and to potentially make it would have been a big thing for her,” Kelsey said.

UW looks to bounce back against Iowa (12-4, 21-6) Thursday.

Swimming and diving

The UW women’s team had a strong showing at the Big Ten championship this past week, finishing fourth in the overall team standings.

Senior Ivy Martin blazed her way to a perfect seven for seven championships, leading the Badgers to their best Big Ten showing since 2012. Head coach Whitney Hite marveled at Martin’s athletic prowess.

“Ivy is cheetah quick. She's lightning quick, and for her to be able to put together a meet like she did was pretty special,” Hite said.

The Wisconsin men’s team competes this coming week at the Big Ten Championships in Iowa. Hite attributed familiarity as the source of both the men’s and women’s successes.

“I really believe each year we've gotten better. They're starting to get it. It's the first time that the seniors are, the first class that's been just with me, and I think that's important, consistency,” she said. “My assistants are as good as any coach in America.”

Track and field

This week marks an exciting time for UW track and field as both the men and women’s teams will travel to Ohio to compete in the 2015 Big Ten Indoor Track & Field Championships. Head coach Mick Byrne beamed over the success of the women’s team.

“At our meeting this morning the buzz about the team was centered on our women's program; for the women to be ahead of the men, it's been a while since that happened, and we're excited about that,” Byrne said.

Thrower Michael Lihrman shattered an NCAA Division I record last week with a heave of 81 feet, 8 ¾ inches. Lihrman faces off against another top thrower in the nation at the Big Ten championships when he competes against Purdue’s Chukwuebuka Enekwechi. When asked if he could pronounce the Purdue weight thrower’s name, Byrne replied, “You got me on that one. I apologize. No.”