Gameday: Future division clashes loom large in Big Ten power rankings

This would be the calm before the storm in the Big Ten, as division supremacy will reveal itself in the next two weeks, Ohio State vs. Michigan State and Nebraska vs. Wisconsin.

1. No. 7 Michigan State (8 first-place votes), 112 points

This could be the Spartans’ last week as tops in the conference if the Ohio State game doesn’t go their way. Michigan State has a strong argument for the best offense in the conference, or at least the most balanced considering how run-heavy Wisconsin, Nebraska and Indiana are.

2. No. 13 Ohio State, 102 points

Here’s why a Michigan State win wouldn’t indisputably mean that the Spartans are better: they had a previous bye week and the game is in East Lansing. J.T. Barrett is pretty much a shoo-in for Freshman of the Year and could be the deciding factor for this week’s matchup.

T-3. No. 15 Nebraska, 93 points

The Huskers are primed to take a tumble down these rankings if Ameer Abdullah’s injury becomes a long-term thing. His back-up, Imani Cross averaged 3.3 yards per rush against Purdue after taking over for Abdullah, and quarterback Tommy Armstrong is nowhere near the level required to carry that offense.

T-3. No. 25 Wisconsin, 93 points

Over their two games against Maryland and Rutgers, the Badgers allowed 314 total yards. Kind of crazy, but the Badgers have the Big Ten’s best defense. Defensive coordinator Dave Aranda is really, really, really good at his job. The passing game went back to being a major concern, so this might just be a lesson in taking your victories where you can.

5. Iowa, 79 points

Oh hey, Iowa has an offense. That’s nifty. Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska all control their own destiny in the West Division, but the Hawkeyes also get those other two at home. If they can pull out the two-way performance they showed against Northwestern, their prospects for winning the division are looking pretty good.

6. Minnesota, 69 points

If you don’t feel like watching the Badgers beat the tar out of Purdue (all hate mail can be sent to jack.baer@dailycardinal.com in the event of a jinx), Minnesota and Iowa might be playing a game straight out of the 1960’s. Together, the two teams run the ball more than 60 percent of the time. Big Ten going to Big Ten.

7. Maryland, 68 points

Let’s clear this up: You do not start rivalries by sparking a brawl and refusing to shake hands with your opponent, hoping that makes everyone go “Ooh, so hardcore, they must really hate Penn State.” You do it by actually being competitive teams over a prolonged period of time. Yeah, the Terrapins ended up winning, but let’s not act like any real gauntlet was thrown down. Penn State still leads the overall series 35-2. Yes, two.

8. Northwestern, 47 points

And just like that, all hope for Northwestern is gone. In case you have been reflexively turning away from any sight of the team that bizarrely beat the Badgers, they’ve lost three games in a row, all by increasing margins. The Wildcats are at the point where they’re making Kirk Ferentz look like Chip Kelly.

9. Penn State, 46 points

We’ve secretly replaced Christian Hackenberg with Matt McGloin, let’s see if anyone notices. Hackenberg’s awful sophomore slump continued with a brutal 18-of-42 effort against Maryland. The Nittany Lions have lost four straight and are 109th in the FBS in points scored. James Franklin is known for being a darn good offensive coach, but there should be some doubts at this point.

10. Rutgers, 43 points

The Scarlet Knights are on a bye, so I’m just going to list some stats from the Wisconsin game to show just how overwhelmed they were on offense. Rutgers averaged 2.3 yards per pass and 2.6 yards per rush. Before their final drive, their offense had not crossed midfield (they had a 3-and-out in Badger territory thanks to a turnover). Also before that final, meaningless drive, they had four first downs.

11. Michigan, 38 points

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out, Dave Brandon. With the athletic director who hired him finally canned, your official Brady Hoke expected firing time is the night after they lose by 30 at Ohio State. Urban Meyer has a better chance of coaching the Wolverines than Hoke does next season.

12. Purdue, 23 points

Outgaining a Nebraska team sans Ameer Abdullah is still probably the most impressive achievement the Boilermakers have pulled off all season and yes, that’s ahead of beating Illinois.

13. Illinois, 15 points

All the Illini can really do at this point is start working on a gigantic “Get well soon, Wes Lunt” card, because until Lunt comes back, any win for Illinois will come as a shock. However, I’m not saying it’s impossible (throws dirty glance towards Minnesota).

14. Indiana, 12 points

Just putting this out there, it kind of feels like at least half the Big Ten is on a three-game losing streak or has lost four of their last five. The Hoosiers’ matchup against Penn State pits the conference’s worst offense against its worst defense. The Nittany Lions could score 40 in that game, they could also score 10.