Monday, June 17, 2024
Mary Burke Debate

Democratic gubernatorial candidate Mary Burke faced off with Gov. Scott Walker in the first of two debates Friday in Eau Claire.

Gubernatorial candidates face off on jobs, economy in first debate

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and Democratic challenger Mary Burke could not agree on the state of the economy in the first of two gubernatorial debates in Eau Claire Friday.

Burke accused Walker of running up a $1.8 billion structural deficit, while Walker touted a $443 million budget surplus.

The surplus exists in the current biennium, while the organization predicts a structural deficit by 2017, according to comments Legislative Reference Bureau Director Bob Lang made last month.

Burke said Walker failed to create the 250,000 jobs he said he would in his first term.

“That’s a broken promise,” Burke said. “We’re not even close. In fact, we’re dead last in the Midwest in terms of job creation.”

Walker said Wisconsin is ranked third in the Midwest for job creation using numbers between July 2013 and July 2014.

When asked about the minimum wage, Burke said the current minimum wage of $7.25 per hour is not enough money to live on. On the same question, Walker said he would make job training a priority in his next term before the moderator asked him to answer the question more directly. Walker did not say whether he believed the current minimum wage is livable.

After Walker’s signature collective bargaining legislation cleared its final legal hurdle over the summer, Walker said parents and teachers have thanked him for saving the state nearly $3 billion.

"It's not just about the money," Walker said. "It's not just about balancing those budgets. It's about empowering [local officials] to do what they were elected to do."

Burke said if she were elected she would respect the right of public employees to bargain collectively.

The candidates will attend one more debate Friday at 7 p.m. in Milwaukee.