Haley Laundrie

Miss Wisconsin USA winner Haley Laundrie is a Dean's List legal studies and communication arts major at UW-Madison. She will compete at the national level competition in 2015.

Miss Wisconsin USA outperforms with class and in class

Haley Laundrie first began competing in pageants as a high school freshman. Now, as a UW-Madison junior, she is the new Miss Wisconsin USA.

“I felt so blessed and thankful and grateful,” Laundrie said. “There were 54 other contestants, and they were all beautiful girls inside and out.”

Laundrie is a Dean’s List legal studies and communication arts major and would eventually like to go to law school after starting a career in public relations.

As a Badger, she enjoys attending university games and seeing everyone’s school pride expressed, especially with Jump Around in Camp Randall Stadium.

During competitions, Laundrie’s mother, her “little personal assistant” helps her find the perfect gown for the evening wear portion of the competition. For the swimwear portion, she picks a suit she feels “comfortable and confident in to go out on the stage.”

However, competing involves more than finding the perfect outfit.

“I would say it has really helped with a lot of professional skills as well as just boosting my confidence and self esteem,” Laundrie said.

The competition concludes with Laundrie’s favorite portion, the interview. She said being on stage has improved her public speaking, interviewing and social skills.

“When I first started competing, I had no idea what to expect. I was intimidated and kind of doubting myself, but then I got into it and realized these girls are so sweet and so kind,” Laundrie said. “I would say that was definitely my biggest obstacle.”

Laundrie will attempt to do what no Wisconsin contestant has done in the national Miss USA competition since its inception in 1952: win.

As a pageant competitor, Laundrie said her favorite aspect is taking in the whole experience and learning from it.

“Yes I want to win the title and the job, but at the same time I really want to meet new people and keep developing those skills,” Laundrie said.

While Laundrie quotes Eleanor Roosevelt about following dreams, she also offers advice of her own.

“People should realize that they can do anything they set their mind to and that hard work and dedication does pay off,” Laundrie said