Monday, June 03, 2024

Students should make collegiate education choices

Welcome to college. More specifically, welcome to the University of Wisconsin –Madison. Your adventure into higher education is just around the corner so it is important to remember just what that means. This is your education. Not your parents’ or your grandparents’ or any other family member’s. While you may wish to follow in a family member’s footsteps and follow their career path, it is ultimately your decision to make. I know too many college students who are following a particular career path because it’s what their parents want them to do; and because their parents write out the tuition checks; they feel somehow obligated to them. If this sounds familiar, I implore you to sit down with your parents and have a serious talk with them. 

This may not be an issue at first. You may be just fine majoring in computer science because the job market looks hopeful, but when you finally get to campus, live downtown, join a couple student organizations and attend classes in new fields of study then you may begin to see things differently and ultimately seek new undertakings. 

This is not something to fear but should instead be embraced. If you like writing, then you should not completely dismiss becoming an English major because your family tells you there is no money or no future in it. If money is your primary motivation for selecting your major then I am here to tell you that you are in for a rude awakening. The distant possibility of immense wealth is not going to be enough to sustain you through late night study sessions of thermo-dynamics or organic chemistry.  

The endeavor of higher learning doesn’t have to be so rigid and focused on material wealth. If wealth is what you’re worried about, simply graduating from college should be your goal. According to statistics from the U.S. Labor Department analyzed by the Economic Policy Institute, college graduates with a bachelor’s degree earn 98 percent more per hour than those without a degree. This number is up from 89 percent in 2008, 85 percent in 1998 and 64 percent in the early 1980s. M.I.T. economist David Autor says, “We have too few college graduates.” 

If your parents tell you there is no future in your major, you should tell them that statement is simply untrue.  A mere major does not wholly determine your employment prospects. Improving your resume while you’re in college is a great way to set yourself up for success regardless of your major. UW-Madison boasts over 750 student organizations which you can get involved in, and if you don’t find a student organization you think would be a good fit you are able to create your very own. Furthermore, there are a number of work and internship opportunities around campus during the school year. Studying abroad is also a great way to make your resume unique and stand out.

Just remember, that this is your education and your college experience. What you decide to do with it is entirely your choice and you should not feel restricted by what other people say is right for you.        

I have come to a new realization during my time at UW Madison which I hope will help the incoming Freshman class. My greatest takeaway from college will not be the paper I receive on graduation day or my GPA. It will instead be my own personal growth which I attribute to the programs and opportunities afforded to me by this great institution. So don’t sit idly by. Know what you want and make it happen because the decisions are yours to make now.

Cullen is a senior majoring in history and political science. What is your view on parental roles in collegiate education? Do you agree it’s the student’s choice as to what their major will be or should our student body choose based on market job availability? Please send all of your feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.