Pixies

Record Routine: Pixies end 23-year studio hiatus with 'Indie Cindy'

Pixies are one of the most storied bands in the history of alternative music. From Surfer Rosa to Doolittle, they have influenced more bands than I can think of and their music has made appearances in everything from “Fight Club” to Rock Band. So, after a 23-year break since their last studio album, Pixies are back with Indie Cindy, an album that, even with the absence of bassist Kim Deal, is uniquely theirs.

Indie Cindy leads off with “What Goes Boom,” a heavy, guitar track laden with vocalist Black Francis’ traditional rasping vocals. Later in the album, “Bag Boy,” “Blue Eyed Hexe” and especially the title track continue the trend of songs that could have come from their earlier work. “Indie Cindy,” especially, stands out as a track that fits this mold.

Yet, the sound on Indie Cindy is not wholly familiar. This is, almost fundamentally, a different band, and their age shows throughout the album. There’s not as much energy as their was before. Francis no longer screams at us, and the instruments sound just a bit heavier than we’re accustomed to hearing. This group, once famed for its frenetic energy, is now road-worn; there just doesn’t seem to be that much left in the tank. While this affects Indie Cindy as a stand-alone project only minimally, it’s depressing to think about how the band has changed.

Much of this has to do with Deal’s absence. Her background vocals were an integral part of the band’s fabric, and without them there’s a hole that never really gets filled. While Francis himself sings the (totally adequate) background parts on Indie Cindy, it’s, again, not the same.

In the end, Pixies fans looking for another Doolittle are going to be disappointed. But for those of us who aren’t, Indie Cindy is a nice reunion album that reminds us just how great this band really is.

Rating: B