A Madison Summer: The Daily Cardinal 2014 Summer Guide

Summer is almost upon us. If you’re going home to live with your parents, we are so sorry. For the lucky ones out there staying for summer, congratulations! Madison has been empirically proven to be the best city in the entire world from May to August. Here’s your guide to all things Madison summer

Activities

Devil's Lake

Turn off your TV, dammit, and embrace the great outdoors at Wisconsin’s largest state park, located less than an hour’s drive from Madison. While day trips are entirely possible, opt to camp out in the park for a few days to experience all Devil’s Lake has to offer, like hiking or climbing the crimson 500-foot quartzite bluffs, trekking through the woods on 29 miles of trails, renting a kayak and/or spending the day fishing and swimming at the beach. The wilderness must be explored.

Goodman Community Pool

Are you deathly afraid of algae blooms in Lake Mendota, but for some reason, not afraid of diaper-clad children? Then check out Goodman Community Pool.  Make the most of the few bucks it costs to enter by staying all day.

Madison Mallards

Part of the Northwoords League, the Mallards are the closest thing to a professional Madison baseball team. But who needs the Brewers when you can pay either $10 for a grandstand ticket or around $25 for all-you-can-eat and drink brats and beer? Season runs from late May to mid-August. Games held at Warner Park.

Madison Ultimate Frisbee Association

Like Ultimate Frisbee? Then consider forming a team with your favorite friends or acquaintences in one of MUFAs summer leagues. All skill levels welcome. And a plus? The Great Dane gives each team a complimentary pitcher post-game.

Olbrich Botanical Gardens

The most beautiful outdoor spot in the city. In the summer months take a stroll through 16 acres of display gardens and the year-round tropical Bolz Conservatory.

Outdoor Rentals

Not a Hoofer member? No problem. As a student you can still rent Hoofer’s equipmen—canoes, kayaks and paddleboards- at discounted rates to use on Lake Mendota. Tent rentals also available.

UW Arboretum

If you love the outdoors but are transportation-limited, the Arboretum is your new best friend. With tons of trails to hike through, it’s like an outdoor museum. Every section is its own exhibit. Check out the horticultural gardens, deciduous and conifer forests, wetlands, prairies and savannahs representative of Wisconsin’s native landscapes. You’ll probably run into some wild turkeys as well.

Wingra Boats

Rent a boat—any kind of boat—and enjoy quaint and adorable Lake Wingra, Mendota and Monona’s baby sister. Rowboat? Stand-up Paddleboard? Canoe? Kayak? Paddleboat? Sure. Also check out Brittingham Boats on Monona Bay.

Your (friend's) porch

A porch, according to dictionary.com, is a covered shelter projecting in front of the entrance of a building. If you take a look around, you will realize that many buildings in Madison have porches! Your house might even have one, too! Some are first-story, some are second. Some are enclosed, some are open. Some are big, some are small. But all are prized! If you do not have any friends that have porches, and you lack one yourself, it’s about time you made some new friends.

Events

Brat Fest

May 23-26. An entire weekend dedicated to one of Wisconsin’s finest foods. Snag a sausage (or four) and a cold brew and spend the day feasting upon several stages of live music. If you’re super hardcore, you can even rent a campsite on the grounds for the weekend. All hail the brat.

Ride the Drive

June 1 and Aug. 24. A bike enthusiast’s fantasy. On two days the city closes an area of the city to cars—downtown and the east side respectively—and everyone else gets the right of way for a change. Walkers and skaters welcome too. This is not to be confused with the Naked Bike Ride.

La Fete de Marquette

June 7-8. Love all things French? Then check out this France-themed festival, now in its ninth year. Hear musicians from all over the French-speaking world. Historically, each day has a different theme: Night of the Stars, Louisiana day, and World Day. On South Dickinson and East Washington Streets.

Cars on State

June 7. On this day, State Street turns into an auto museum as 100 classic cars and trucks line up from the Capitol to Library Mall. 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Cows on the Concourse

June 7. Do you love cows? Do you love the Capitol Square? Would you like to see those two combined? Cows on the Concourse is a celebration of the dairy industry, and probably the only opportunity you will ever have to give thanks to the cow for all they give to this state. (Until 2015, that is.) 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Waterfront Festival

June 7-8. At Yahara Place Park on the Lake Monona Shores, the Waterfront Festival is a lax alternative to some of the other more hectic festivals. Free admission, enjoy food, music and an array of activities.

Make Music Madison

June 21: Just in its second year, Make Music Madison is a city-wide music festival that takes place on the summer solstice. The goal is that, wherever you are, whether it be on the far north side or the far south side, you’ll hear some music as venues last year ranged from metro transfer points to the Overture Center loading dock and the Gap store on State Street. Any musicically inclined Madisonian is encouraged to apply to play. Sign-up ends May 15.

Concerts on the Square

Every Wednesday from June 25 through July 30. Affectionately referred to as COTS by some, this Wednesday afternoon event fills the square with symphony music, free for all to hear. COTS is the best excuse you will ever have to drink wine and eat an entire spread of summer sausage in one sitting. Bring some cards, maybe a board game… COTS is the direct inspiration for the Portlandia sketch where Kath and Dave go to an outdoor movie. Google it.

Rhythm and Booms

June 28. At this Madison summer staple—revamped and moved downtown since last year—spend the afternoon enjoying food, arts and live music on John Nolen Drive. Then head to the shore of Lake Monona as the sun sets to watch a fireworks display set to music and shot from barges offshore. Food! Explosions! America! Hooray!

Art Fair on the Square

July 12-13: Visit the square this weekend and see pieces of fine art from over 450 vendors. Pieces range from jewelry to sculpture, paintings, prints, photography, anything you can imagine. Go with the mindset that you’re there to look and not buy, however, unless you want a serious dent in your wallet.

Dane County Fair

July 16-20: At the Alliant Energy Center. Doesn’t need much explanation. Ferris wheels and scary rides too! Deep fried burgers and the cows they came from! Last year one of our staff members had a very spiritual moment with a sheep. This could be you.

Maxwell Street Days

July 18-20. This state-wide shopping extravaganza hits State Street mid-July. If there is something you have your eye on, buy it then. You won’t find better deals. Most State Street stores participate and some restaurants as well. Urban Outfitters, which looks more like Dig ‘N’ Save this weekend, takes up an entire block.

Paddle and Portage

July 19. This is the strangest canoe race you will ever see! Watch as participants paddle a portion of Lake Mendota, portage across the isthmus and paddle again in Lake Monona to Olin Park. Only in Madison, right?

Blacklight Run 5k: Aug. 7: Don’t know what to do with all of the neon leggings and fanny packs accumulated in your closet from highlighter frat parties freshman year? Throw on a white shirt and some running shoes and give that radiant ensemble one last hurrah for “the brightest 5k on the planet.” Basically, it’s the Color Run on shrooms in the dark. If you sign up by May 14, you’ll cut your registration fee in half. Held at the Alliant Energy Center.

Orton Park Festival

Aug. 21-24. Orton Park is, empirically speaking, one of the most beautiful parks in Madison. So venture to the Orton Park Festival at summer’s twilight, and enjoy local crafts, music and food, and surely a lovely day.

Taste of Madison: Aug. 30-31 . Visit the square this weekend to try snack-sized samples from restaurants from around the city. The best opportunity to try a new restaurant without having to commit to a full meal. Sample around. Bring empty stomachs and a big wad o’ cash.

Terrace Schedule:

Monday at 9 p.m.:“You Always Remember the First” movie festival—highlighting great first movies from series we love.

May 26: “Ghostbusters”

June 2: “Jurassic Park”

June 9: “Shrek”

June 16: “Batman”

June 23: “The Karate Kid”

June 30: “Toy Story”

July 7: “Austin Powers”

July 14: “Rush Hour”

July 21: “Raiders of the Lost Ark”

July 28: “Spy Kids”

August 4: “Jaws”

August 11: “Grease”

August 18: “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure”

August 26: “Back to the Future

September 1: Animal House”

Wednesday: Open Mic, 7:45- 11 p.m.

Thursday: Bluegrass & Americana Series, 5-7 p.m.

Friday: Behind the Beat, 5-7 p.m.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday night: headliners until 12 a.m.