Protomartyr

Record Routine: Protomartyr miss mark on debut album

The duality of Protomartyr’s debut, Under Color of Official Right, is both an asset and a curse. The dynamic provided is interesting to the listener, but once they get over the initial novelty of said dynamic, it becomes jarring and ill-conceived. This leaves the impression that Under Color of Official Right isn’t wholly complete, or that it was originally two projects that were somehow combined.

Under Color of Official Right starts with “Maidenhead” and “Ain’t So Simple,” two slower tracks that sound like they were written by The Vaccines. However, the guitar seems to be a little off, especially during “Maidenhead,” and the vocals on these slower songs tend to get flat and stay there.

However, after “Ain’t So Simple” the album takes on an entirely new identity and doubles in velocity. “Want Remover” and “Trust Me Billy” speed up almost inexplicably and Under Color does not slow down until near the end. This seven-track stretch of almost-punk really puts a damper on the album. The whole thing sounds like Protomartyr can’t decide whether they want to be a punk band or try to channel The Smiths, but neither sound is totally convinced it’s the right way to go.

While the overall feel of Under Color of Official Right is off, there are still individual tracks that stand out. “Tarpeian Rock” and “Scum, Rise!” are solid tunes and the album’s best track, “What the Wall Said,” is actually paced very well. While most of the album is either too fast or too slow, “What the Wall Said” is the only track that reaches a happy medium between the band’s two tempos and should be something Protomartyr strives for in the future.

While it has its high points, Under Color of Official Right doesn’t ever really figure out what it wants to be and suffers as a result.

Grade: C