Ratking

Record Routine: New York City collective Ratking fall short of rap group stardom on debut album ‘So It Goes’

After the start of groups like N.W.A. and Wu Tang Clan, hip hop had a significant lack of rap collectives at the turn of the century. But within the last few years, groups like Top Dawg Entertainment and A$AP Mob have brought back the presence of rap collectives in the game, reigniting a wave of group-affiliated rappers. Ratking is a four-man group from New York, with a style reminiscent of old-school rap with a touch of teenage angst.

Ratking brings together a young group with a variety of sounds. 18-year old frontman Wiki has a style remarkably similar to that of a young Eminem, which shows in his presentation, rapping sarcastic quips full of attitude similar to a young Marshall Mathers. The troupe’s collective age is well represented in the subject of their songs on So It Goes. “Remove Ya” highlights the group’s disdain for the police, classically labeling them as ‘pigs.’

The tracks “So Sick Stories” and “Bug Fights” highlight the group’s prideful personalities, dramatizing a rags-to-riches start up for the members. Each song carries the weight of rebellion with it, but they all seem to lack a greater purpose.

Ratking shares the distinct style of groups like Odd Future, melding together a group of anguished kids trying to make a statement by displaying their nonsensical flair. What Ratking lacks is distinct personalities. With groups like Odd Future, members Tyler the Creator, Earl Sweatshirt and Frank Ocean have all made a name for themselves as artists, honing their own techniques and framing songs around personal issues and experiences. Ratking are still stuck in a phase of teenage insurgence, playing for the sake of being heard as unruly youth. Ratking have potential, but need to find a unique quality that will give their music purpose and presence.

Rating: C+