Monday, June 17, 2024
John Nygren

State Rep. John Nygren, R-Marinette, traveled with Gov. Scott Walker as the governor signed the HOPE package Monday.

Gov. Scott Walker signs heroin and opiate package

Gov. Scott Walker toured the state Monday with state legislators, signing seven bills aimed at reducing heroin use in the state.

The Heroin and Opiate Prevention and Education package includes measures to grant immunity to those who help someone suffering an overdose and increase funding for the Treatment Alternatives and Diversion program.

Walker thanked state Rep. John Nygren, R-Marinette, and state Sens. Sheila Harsdorf, R-River Falls, and Alberta Darling, R-River Hills, for authoring the legislation in a Monday statement.

“Wisconsin, like many states across the country, is experiencing a dangerous trend–an escalating number of cases of heroin use, addiction, and overdose,” Walker said in the statement. “Heroin addiction does not discriminate, and we have to take action to protect our friends, family members, and neighbors, who need help.”

The bills would also make drug disposal programs more accessible, require identification to pick up some opiate prescriptions and require emergency responders to carry anti-overdose drugs to administer upon arrival at the scene.

Nygren traveled with Walker as he signed the bills in Marinette, Stevens Point, Eau Claire and Milwaukee. He released a statement Monday and lauded the bill’s enactment.

“Addiction affects people of all demographics, races and income levels,” Nygren said in the statement. “While I’ve said many times that these bills are not the ‘silver bullets’ to solving the problem, they’re certainly important first steps in the right direction.”

Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen said in a statement Monday he predicts the HOPE legislation will be a fiscally responsible and successful response to heroin use in the state.

The Department of Justice will sponsor a National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day April 26, during which citizens may drop off unused or expired prescription drugs at collection sites around the state.

The AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin applauded the bill’s passage in a Monday statement and expressed hope the legislation would reduce the spread of HIV and hepatitis C.

State Public Defender Kelli Thompson said in a statement she was also glad to see the bills signed into law.