State Senate to take up GOP voting bills Tuesday

The state Senate will take up a set of controversial Republican voting bills in a packed session Tuesday, which have drawn criticism from Democrats.

Republicans argue the bills would prevent voter ID fraud and maintain the legislation is aimed at changing voting procedures.

State Sen. Nikiya Harris, D-Milwaukee, issued a statement Monday in response to a press conference highlighting the Republican senate bills.

Democrats oppose two Senate bills that Harris said target the “poorest populations of our state by making it harder for these individuals to cast their ballot.”

One bill requires citizens to prove residency in Wisconsin in order to be an eligible voter.

The Senate will also debate a law that would change absentee voting procedure. The proposed legislation would narrow the time frame during which absentee ballots would be accepted.

The legislation would set up a number of barriers and regulations in front of voters, Harris said in the statement.

“The series of bills up for debate on Tuesday are just another example of the great lengths my colleagues across the aisle are going to restrict access to the polls,” Harris said in the statement.

State Sen. Jennifer Shilling, D-La Crosse, has also criticized the bills and introduced her own proposal called the “Right to Vote” Act as an alternative to GOP legislation.

“By placing unnecessary restrictions on voting, Republicans are discouraging voting among minorities, low-income individuals, the sick, and the elderly,” Harris said. “As legislators, they should be focusing their energy on creating jobs and boosting our economy, not focused on suppressing Wisconsin votes.”